View in the web browser

Instructional HowTos, posted by users. No questions here please.

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

helios

View in the web browser

Post by helios »

I have listed out below the actions you need to take. Some of these may be implemented already.

1. Right click the web browser icon
2. Choose Properties / Programs
3. Select TextPad as the HTML editor
4 . Click OK

Next:

Please implement the following:

From the Explorer (My Computer) Tools menu choose:

1. Folder options
2. File types
3. Scroll down and click on HTML
4. If it is not associated to your web browser, click on Change
5. Select the Web browser
6. Click OK

You will need to implement the same procedure above, for any other files, such as ASP or PHP that you want to view in the browser.

Next:

In TextPad:

Please implement the following. From the Configure menu choose:

1. Preferences
2. "+" next to Document classes
3. HTML
4. Check the View in web browser box

Please also ensure that the files are in the relevant folder, as listed under Configure / Preferences / Folders / WWW Root folder.
Helios Software Solutions
CyanBlue

Post by CyanBlue »

Howdy... :)

I was wondering about three things for 'View in Web Browser' feature...

#1. Is it possible so that I can assign a shortcut key for this function??? I am not able to see this in the Preference page...

#2. Can we make it so that TextPad will always open the file in the new browser rather than the already opened browser???

#3. If I do View in Web Browser with PHP file, I get to see the result on the web browser... Does that mean that PHP file gets compiled automatically as if I get to see it over some other website??? (I think the answer is yes, right??? :))

Thanks... :)
asherber

Post by asherber »

CyanBlue wrote:#1. Is it possible so that I can assign a shortcut key for this function??? I am not able to see this in the Preference page...
It looks like this has been left off the list of commands to which you can assign a shortcut key. However, you can record a macro that consists of clicking View | In web browser, and then assign a shortcut key to the macro.

Aaron.
CyanBlue

Post by CyanBlue »

Ah... Very nice... Thanks... :)
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

CyanBlue wrote: #1. Is it possible so that I can assign a shortcut key for this function??? I am not able to see this in the Preference page...
Configure - Preferences - Keyboard

In Categories, select "View"
In Commands, select "ViewHTML"

CyanBlue wrote: #2. Can we make it so that TextPad will always open the file in the new browser rather than the already opened browser???
My Firefox does it - always in a new tab. I think I made this setting within Firefox ...

CyanBlue wrote: #3. If I do View in Web Browser with PHP file, I get to see the result on the web browser... Does that mean that PHP file gets compiled automatically as if I get to see it over some other website??? (I think the answer is yes, right??? :))
Are you sure? It might be that the browser just doesn't display the php code because it is in <>.
What URL does the browser show in the address bar?
Does it start with http: or with file: ?
lou

Text Pad 4.7.3 View in Web Browser

Post by lou »

I have just upgraded to 4.7.3.
I've been using TextPad for years, on different Win versions, and with different default Web Browsers.
Now I use IE 6 as default Web Browser and Win 2000.
To the contrary to other users, this function has always worked properly, until I did this recent upgrade.
Now, all I get when I do View in Web Browser is an Alert sound (without any special error message)
I have searched all the Forums for help, I have rechecked all settings, particularly those suggested in :
http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5302

TextPad seems to recognise IE as my default Web Browser, since when I do ctrl G on a web link, it does open the URL in IE.

Apart from upgrading, I also have installed a new syntax file: javascript_html.syn
Could this be at fault?
I have tried to remove it and delete my Javascript Class definition.
Then reinstalled Text Pad 4.7.3 .
No change: View in Web Browser still did not worked.

The only way I have found to view my HTML work in IE is to add IE as a tool (where I already have an older and a newer version of Netscape)

Lou