Manage Files...

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

SteveH

Manage Files...

Post by SteveH »

With the recent thread on the value of built-in FTP I was wondering how much use the Manage Files command gets in day-to day use.

I can honestly say that I have never used it but wondered whether a large number of users find it particularly useful.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

I have used it which puts me a peg above you but it's maybe a bimonthly sort of usage, nothing that I can't live without but I will say it is handy when I remember it to copy the file instead of using Save As.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

I always use the command line for this sort of thing.

I have the following tool defined:

Code: Select all

Command:         C:\4NT\4nt.exe
Parameters:
Initial folder:  $FileDir

[ ] Prompt for parameters       [ ] Capture output
[ ] Run minimized               [X] Close DOS window on exit
[ ] Save all documents first    
(Replace C:\4NT\4nt.exe with a shell of your choice.)

The tool has the shortcut Alt+4. So a quick key press gets me a command line whose current directory is the directory of the file I'm looking at.

The only problem with this is that I lose track of the consoles and editors I've opened from each other.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thinking about it after I posted, the only thing I ever need to do (and rarely - it seems to be a bug bug in Windows 2000 explorer reading WinNT 3.51 files with no recognised extension!) that Manage Files would do for me is touch files to change date attributes.

As some have stated in the parallel FTP debate, I actually prefer to do this with a an external application as it gives me more options and control.