suggestion for improvement - hop from location to location

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

AnilPhilip

suggestion for improvement - hop from location to location

Post by AnilPhilip »

problem:

We frequently need to open files in different locations. The File|Open menu sets its current folder location to the last file opened or to the default "My Documents" folder.

The navigation to and fro is annoying and inconvenient when I am working in more than one folder at the same time. For example when doing a Tools|Compare Files, or when programming in a deeply nested directory structure as in Java class packages.

proposed solution:
"hop from location to location"

In the File menu, the names of the four most recent files opened are stored. It will be a simple matter to also store the folder names of the last four *locations*. Then when I want to switch to another location, I do a File and select location folder from recent list. This will 'set' the current location until it is reset by opening another file or choosing another location.

another suggestion:
you (Textpad) should give a free single user license to each person who contributes a useful suggestion for improvement. This will be a nice reward and a way of saying Thank You. I have only an evaluation license myself (Hint! Hint!)

thanks,
Anil Philip
Olathe, KS
tbeaulieu

Post by tbeaulieu »

I *LOVE* that suggestion! A history of recently used locations, and/or a configurable list.
MudGuard

Re: suggestion for improvement - hop from location to locati

Post by MudGuard »

AnilPhilip wrote: In the File menu, the names of the four most recent files opened are stored.
up to 16 (see Configure - Preferences - File)
AnilPhilip wrote: It will be a simple matter to also store the folder names of the last four *locations*. Then when I want to switch to another location, I do a File and select location folder from recent list. This will 'set' the current location until it is reset by opening another file or choosing another location.
This will interfere with "Workung folder follows active document.
tbeaulieu

Post by tbeaulieu »

I do use the "working folder follows the active document" feature, and that's incredibly useful. But, when I start a new document, it's a different story. Sometimes I'll take one document, copy it into a new window to get at the working folder of the existing document.

You have to admit, the standard windows browse is quite tedious. Often times I spend a frustrating 30 seconds navigating to the same spot I navigate to 15 times a day.
AnilPhilip

Re: suggestion for improvement - hop from location to locati

Post by AnilPhilip »

MudGuard wrote: This will interfere with "Workung folder follows active document.
No, they can both work together. The manual selection will be an override. 8)
tygrus78

Post by tygrus78 »

Sounds very useful (without using Windows/IE favourites/history).

WinXP likes to forget where you are in the path (hides path) in explorer and some dialogs (offTopic to TextPad). Windows and other apps put too much information within the profile diretory; need to set folder redirection.

I sometimes have several TextPad windows open with different workspaces which are each related to a few locations.
AnilPhilip

lobby textpad

Post by AnilPhilip »

if you like this idea, let's lobby textpad!
Have not had any decision maker from textpad post here - wonder why...
:D
Anil