Library Feature

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

solel

Library Feature

Post by solel »

Hi,

I'm a total newbie and looking at TextPad for some HTML development I'm doing. I'm mainly looking for a program that does one feature and was wondering if TextPad does it. The feature I'm looking for is the "Library" feature in Dreamweaver. I don't have Dreamweaver anymore and have a site with numerous pages on it, all using the same template but changing the content. I read that there are "snippets" in TextPad that I could use to insert the boilerplate header/footer into the pages. This is nice. However when I modify the header/footer I'd like the text editor to automatically update any files that the "snippet" is in. In Dreamweaver when you modify a "Library" item, it automatically updates all of the pages that the item is in. If TextPad doesn't do this, do you have any suggestions for a low cost way of doing this? I have VS.NET and am pretty sure that doesn't handle this feature and am looking for a low cost text editor that would. Thanks!
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Check out nVu, free, Open Source Web Page Authoring program.

Price is less than Dreamweaver so do not expect all the same features.

Not sure if it does mass replace to all pages on Web site....
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
webber123456

Post by webber123456 »

you could also use server side includes for your headers and footers then you only have to change then in one place
solel

Post by solel »

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at NVU unfortunately it is very minimal on the feature set and although it does have templates, it doesn't update pages based on a template when the template is changed. It was a good guess though!

And I know I could use server side, but I'm attempting to avoid that and have it static.

Thanks again for your help!
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

Do use SSI - it's incredibly powerful if you have an apache host (using #echo #set and #exec) and is as reliable as static html. The BBC of all people use ONLY SSI to drive their entire web site.

I've built several *very* large commercial sites entirely with SSI including our own site (which is still in development as we've been too busy to finish it!).
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!