Treeview in the document selector

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is it to you, to have this feature implemented into future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
56%
Somewhat important
24%
I'm okay either way
13%
Somewhat unimportant
4%
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected
4%

Total votes: 108

lionelb

Tree view in document selector

Post by lionelb »

Indeed. Lack of suitable "project management" is the one thing that prevents me from using TextPad as my default editor for programming - on my wishlist this rates several notches above editable macros :?

In its current state TextPad is simply not suitable for programming large projects where many files have to be instantly accessible; having (say) 20 files open concurrently creates a dreadful mess on the screen; a workaround might be to minimise most of the open files... however, due to an annoying "feature", selecting a minimised document from the document selector does not restore it [this really ought to be remedied asap - it is surely a straightforward fix].
Lionel B
velocd

Post by velocd »

I've been using textpad as my Windows programming/web-design editor for over 3 years. About a year ago I started to use Vim on Linux, and have thought of using its gVim port for Windows. But I find gVim is powerful for small projects, as its multi-file environment seems outdated (split windows, no tabs or document selector).

In my current programming project I have over 250+ files (.php, .tpl mostly) open in my workspace. These files are from multiple directories, and some share the same filenames (making it hard to differentiate in document selector).

But, having the files in the document selector listed in tree hierarchy would be very useful, and make Textpad more attractive for purchase. I've yet to find a text editor that does this. :wink:
[talk anime? talk web design? talk @ animesystem.com]
lionelb

Post by lionelb »

But, having the files in the document selector listed in tree hierarchy would be very useful, and make Textpad more attractive for purchase. I've yet to find a text editor that does this. :wink:
Actually many [Windows text editors] do: e.g. UltraEdit, PSPad, Crimson Editor to name but a few. TextPad - while in my opinion superior to all those in most other respects - lags badly in this regard.
Lionel B
wadeNY

Another request for this feature

Post by wadeNY »

Hello,
I am a presentation layer developer (JSP/Struts, XHTML, XML, JavaScript, CSS) and have primarily been using HomeSite for the past few years. My current project calls for all files to be saved with UTF-8 encoding. Unfortunately HomeSite is limited in its UTF-8 support and forces a BOM on all files it touches without any option to save without it. As noted in TextPad’s documentation this creates a problem for many UTF-8 enabled applications (in my case IE renders them in the page). As a result I have been forced to seek an alternative editor.

TextPad would be the ideal replacement with the exception of this requested feature of a treeview. In a days work I must be able to rapidly navigate the project’s directory structure and open, edit, save a large volume of files. Being required to use a file open dialog for each individual file instead of an explorer style tree structure is enough of a time drain to be unworkable. If TextPad had this feature it would be an obvious choice for a replacement to HomeSite.

In addition to this request I would also like to mention the value of CVS integration along the lines of TortoiseCVS. If considering treeview integration; CVS support of this nature (or simply support for Tortoise within TextPad) would create one stop development environment for my line of work.

Thank you for your time,
Wade Harrell
vwartelle

Post by vwartelle »

Treeview !

I am fond of Textpad since 1999, it is my main tool for Php / Html, Tcl and even vb.net projects. On some projects I have 100+ files.

A document selector presented as a treeview ( abstract project hierarchy) would be very useful to me. Sometimes logical hierarchy is not reflected on filesystem, because of deployment constraints. Sometimes identical filenames (say, index.php, .htaccess, and so on) must coexist in different directories.

Vincent Wartelle.
nyugi

Post by nyugi »

:!: This request is so old now, and I saw many other similar topics/requests. In my opinion the developers should pay a bit more attention to it. At least someone could react on the requests. Whether they are planning to do something around this question or not.
Nyugi
webber123456

Post by webber123456 »

[quote="nyugi"]:!: This request is so old now, and I saw many other similar topics/requests. In my opinion the developers should pay a bit more attention to it. At least someone could react on the requests. Whether they are planning to do something around this question or not.[/quote]

Development on Textpad has apparently been suspended.
Simon Tortike

Post by Simon Tortike »

This request is one of the biggest problems I have with TextPad when loading workspaces with large numbers of files (100+) -- specifically in the treeview or another view I would like to be able to:
1) sort filenames by type (suffix), date, and alphabetically (current ordering);
2) live filter with wildcards on the treeview
3) option not to load files in document selector unless selected (requested) -- this is particularly important over NFS networks where I get periodic refreshes which can take a couple of minutes to go through all the files.
Blizzo

Workaround

Post by Blizzo »

I have been using Textpad for a long time. I find most other editors to sluggish or too bloated with features for my tastes. I tried using jEdit after talking with a friend, but even after days of tweaking the configuration, it still didn't feel right. It seems very sad that development of Textpad seems to have halted.

Anyway, I often work with frameworks that have many files with identical names stored in different directories. If I choose to display the full path, then I can't even see the filenames anymore because the paths are so long. Here was my idea:

Map a network drive to the folder containing your files:

"Subst X: C:\Path\To\Your\Files" - Where files is a directory/folder name

Open Textpad and open all your files by browsing to them on your X: drive, then right click in the document selector area and click on "Show Full Paths". This seems to work pretty well, as long as your directory structure isn't too deep, or your folder names aren’t too long.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone :)
--
Blizzo.com