Source Code Folding and/or Outline View

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

noah

Post by noah »

I think what TextPad really needs is source code folding.
This could possibly serve double-duty as an "outline" feature.
I've always loved Outline View in Microsoft Word (although, I
never liked how it actually formatted the Normal View).
daveokeeffe

Post by daveokeeffe »

You mean Expand/Collapse code that is reliant on the bracket matching? I think Visual Studio does this, and it's something that is /really/ missing in TP. Guys, you know you gotta do it!!

p.s. I love textpad with all my heart and soul, it's the best program I've ever used (sue me, I'm a fanboy). I love it I love it I love it. Thanks guys :D
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
atomice2

Post by atomice2 »

I agree (although I'm sure this has been suggested before). Even Kate - KDE's answer to Notepad - has source code folding.
mamgeorge

Post by mamgeorge »

I agree with adding code folding.
This is the only feature in UltraEdit or Jedit that makes them serious competitors.
pjafrombbay

Post by pjafrombbay »

TextPad is a great product. Adding source code folding would be one of the very few features that it lacks. I would like to add my support to its addition in a future (not too far in the future) version.

Is there ever likely to be a Linux version? Now that would be worthwhile. The unavailability of an editor as good as TextPad or outliners like KeyNote or MyInfo and solitaire games like Pretty Good Solitaire is what keeps me from making a permanent switch from Windows to Linux.

Regards,
Peter :D
Peter Anderson
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

I find code-folding to be a pain in the arse - another few things you have to click to get where you want...

I've always seen TextPad is a text editor, which is why I use it for it's minimal capabilities.

Code folding is for code editors, which i do not use as 99% of the tools obstruct your conception of the work you are doing (code-folding, autocomplete etc). Oh and I actually know where I put things!
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!
pjafrombbay

Post by pjafrombbay »

ninjalabs,

Thanks (on behalf of others who posted here) for your incisive and worthwhile comments.

Regards,
Peter :roll:

PS: I followed your http://www.ninjalabs.com/ link; I agree "Professional web development solutions" - very professional, like your response above.