Mail server for W2K Pro?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mo

Mail server for W2K Pro?

Post by mo »

I have done the unthinkable. I have taken out Linux from my personal server box and replaced it with W2K Pro + Apache.

How come?

Well the proximate cause was the mess I ended up with trying to install Debian Sarge. With that in a hopeless state I began to argue to myself the case of the waste of my precious time (getting on in age here!) always needing to use two different processes to do the same thing. I.e., Kate or emacs or nedit or all of the above vs TextPad.

So now I get to use TextPad on both my machines which was what I had hoped to do pushing for a Linux port of TextPad.

Time to sell my Linux stock...oops...there is no Linux stock.

Anyway, what I would like to ask the group's experienced system administrators is: Is there a good mail server that I can use on W2K Pro?
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

While I don't qualify as an experience sys admin, I'll still throw out my two bits.

I'm running Mercury Mail for myself and it seems to do fine. I haven't really spent time to do anything clever but so far it's been dandy.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I recently was reviewiing Email Servers, and also settled on Mecury as best option at that time. Have not yet installed, so I cannot give true evaluation.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
mo

Post by mo »

Great, thanks both, I was looking at that yesterday, and I will give it a shot.

mo
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

Credentials about sysadmin experience: about 8 years of frustrated hacking at sendmail on FreeBSD...

http://www.mailenable.com/ <-- there is a free version of this available that should cover most people's needs - I'd use it myself but i'm using some cheap-ass windows hosting from the guys at www.redfoxhosting.co.uk (good stuff I tell you!)

Just think, no more widdling around with unix MTAs.

Hope this helps.
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!
mo

Post by mo »

OK, thanks, I downloaded a copy. I havn't been able to get Mercury mail to work, but it seems to be a firewall or authentication problem which is likely to be the same for this program.

We'll see!
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds