Can't Install JDK on Windows XP

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kline12010

Can't Install JDK on Windows XP

Post by kline12010 »

Hi everyone. I have a student whos was trying to install JDK1.3.1 on a computer running Windows XP. He gets the following message - C:\Window\system32\Autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS & Microsoft Windows applications.

How do we fix this? I know there are newer versions of the JDK available but he is trying to create the same environment we have at school and I can not update to a newer version at this time. We are using TextPad version 4.4.2 if that matters. I have never had this problem in three years that I have been teaching it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Barb
boon_kwee

Hope this helps

Post by boon_kwee »

Do a search with google.com on "autoexec.nt" gives you the answer.

Anyway,
Problem
You get the following message:

C:\Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT.
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
Choose 'Close' to terminate this application.

Solution
If you run into this errors when running 16bit apps because one of the following files is missing from \WINNT\System32:

Config.nt
Autoexec.nt
Command.com

Check to see that these files are there. If not, expand them from the install CD and copy them to \WINNT\System32
They'll be in the \I386 folder as

Config.nt_
autoexec.nt_
command.co_
From a command prompt window, type

Expand /?
to get instructions for using Expand

For detailed explanation, see htt :) p://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767&Product=winxp
Cheers
boon_kwee

correct url

Post by boon_kwee »

Cheers