Purchase or wait for upgrade?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

johnbweb

Purchase or wait for upgrade?

Post by johnbweb »

Hi,

I'm going to purchase a license for TextPad. If I buy a license now, will that license work for the next version when it arrives? Or will I have to pay the $31 for a license now, and an additional $10 for the next version?

In other words, should I go ahead and do this now, or wait for the next upgrade?

Thanks,
John B.
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

buy now.

a) you don't know when the next version will be - noone does
b) $31 is nothing for such software. I use textpad for about 8-10 hours a day and have watched it pay off that price at least once a day.
c) I bought my last license back in '99 for textpad so they last a long time (unlike office/windows for example)
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

In fact some maths...

been using textpad since 1999 = 6 years
average 8-10 hours a day = 8 hours a day lowest
six days a week = 6
46 weeks a year for me = 46

6 * 8 * 6 * 46 =

13,428 hours without a crash or problem.

I think that's worth $31 :)
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!
Leif

Post by Leif »

ninjalabs wrote: I think that's worth $31 :)
Agree 100 %
taguchi

Post by taguchi »

I would not purchase it until an upgrade comes out. Helios has let TextPad become abandonware, since v.4.x has been little improved in six years. Despite what TextPad users want, Helios is not interested in their own product. Sad really.
johnbweb

Post by johnbweb »

I think I will wait to buy. There are a lot of postings from users who want the next version, but a cryptic response from the developer as to the state of the product. In http://www.textpad.info/forum/viewtopic ... 1252#21252, helios wrote
Very perceptive of you talleyrand and s_reynisson. Having more
or less hit the nail on the head, I think this is an appropriate
time to bring this thread to a close.
It's been a year since the last version, and the last three versions seem to have been largely bugfixes (from the release notes). The last major release was almost 2 years ago. From the same thread, talleyrand wrote:
TextPad 4.7.0 released 13 July 2003
TextPad 4.7.1 distributed 29 Aug 2003
TextPad 4.7.2 introduced 5 Nov 2003
Wildedit, a brand new product from Helios, shipped 27 May 2004
TextPad 4.7.3 published 17 June 2004
I think there are some cool requests on the table, and having been through this before with other shareware, I'd like to see that this program is still under development before purchasing.

Thanks,
John B.
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

A wise choice indeed when it comes to computers and/or software ;)
And for good measure take a look at zridling's blog for it's "like a stream of bats' piss! ... shoned like a shaft of gold when all around is dirt.". And of course his "classic".
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
tacke

Post by tacke »

Nobody knows what's going on behind about new update, but Helios, there is not enough money to pay more programmers to get this product updated ? Even increasing the price but come with updates, peoples will be so happy.