New Window feature available in TextPad ?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Hari

New Window feature available in TextPad ?

Post by Hari »

Hi,

I have a need to see different parts of the same file at the same instant. Like I might be having some code in lines 58 to 95 in file "A". Now while making modifications in lines 58-95 I have to look up at lines 13008 to 13020 (within File "A"). Is there a feature of opening 2 windows of the same file at the same instant in textpad? (The line numbers given are arbitrary, but I have to do lot of lookup's across whole of the document)

My need is quite similar to what Microsoft excel provides. Suppose I need to look up at Worksheet A and type in some data in Worksheet B (same workbook) then I can just Go to Windows -> New Window and I have 2 windows of the same file open at the same time.

Regards,
Hari
India
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

You mean "Window | Split"? Alternatively, just drag the tiny "handle" at the top of the vertical scrollbar.
Hari

Post by Hari »

Hi bveldkamp,

Thnx a lot for the tiny "handle" at the top of the vertical scrollbar.

I can work view 2 parts of the same document at the same time.

Still, Excel has a feature called "new window" just above arrange within Windows menu. Having such an option is good for 2 things. One I can view 2 or 3 or as many parts of the same document at the same time. More importantly these parts may be Tiled horizontally or Vertically depending on the structure of the code ( handle at the top of the vertical scrolbar doesnt have that flexibility).

Regards,
Hari
India
jeff_schiller

Post by jeff_schiller »

Yes, the Split can help to see two parts of the document but there are cases when I want to see more than two parts of the document (for instance when dealing with really long source files).

It would be REALLY nice to allow an arbitrary number of splitters or to include the "Add New Window" feature.

These cases are RARE, but when they pop up they really make me wish I was using Visual Studio...;)

Thanks!
Jeff
jeff_schiller

Post by jeff_schiller »

Any word on this Helios?

Thanks,
Jeff
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hi Hari

You said
More importantly these parts may be Tiled horizontally or Vertically depending on the structure of the code ( handle at the top of the vertical scrolbar doesnt have that flexibility).
By this time you've probably found the handle on the horizontal scrollbar.