Difference analysis

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

dherric

Difference analysis

Post by dherric »

PLEASE consider upgrading this function. It is the only feature my programmers do not like.

Functionality like Winedit or Ed for windows would be great in this area.

Tx

David
dixonc

Post by dixonc »

Have you tried CSDiff - it's free and works great. Only problem is it has to be run outside Textpad but if that's not a problem have a look:

http://www.componentsoftware.com/produc ... f/news.htm

Posting this message I noticed that there's been a couple of upgrades to the software since I last looked. I'm off to get V5 :D
dherric

Post by dherric »

I have not tried it will check it out - tx
jmooney

Post by jmooney »

Check out ExamDiff (free version). It's a nice sidebyside diff tool and can be hooked under the tools menu in Textpad, though I've not figured out how to load the opened files list in Textpad or how to insert file1/file2.
dherric

Post by dherric »

Thanks I will check that one out as well
Rodrigo

Post by Rodrigo »

My company bought Araxis Merge to do that task.
It's quite good actually and i use it sometimes, but Textpad is still way faster & better :)
David Haslam

Suggest try Tadzios file compare (TFC)

Post by David Haslam »

The site's in German, but the TFC compare program is terrific.

http://www.tadzio.com/tfc/index.html

TFC used to be packed with ZTree in days long gone by.

If your German isn't up to scratch, you can get Google to translate the page to English for you.

Should be a simple task to get TextPad to launch TFC using one of the Tools.

Though the screenshots don't show it, you can configure TFC to just highlight character differences in red rather than whole lines that are different.
Best regards,

David F Haslam, MA, CEng, MIEE
dixonc

Post by dixonc »

It looks like there is wide variety of third party comparison tools that people use. Can I ask for the next release we have a $File1 $File2 option so these can be called from within TextPad please and the files passed as parameters?
mnoss

"Compare Files" should allow user to control conte

Post by mnoss »

Currently TextPad gives the user no control over whether the diff output contains context or not. Release Notes for 4.7.0 state "Compare files now only lists different lines, rather than at least 3 lines of context". Later on, Helios reversed itself. Release Notes for 4.7.2 state "The minimum number of consecutive matches when comparing files has been set back to 3, to prevent problems with certain degenerate cases."

In our database-oriented environment, we want the 4.7.0 behaviour. This is important enough to us that we're inhibited from upgrading to 4.7.3. Other folks may legitimately want the 4.7.2 behaviour.

TextPad should allow users to select which behaviour they get.
bgclarke

Post by bgclarke »

I usually end up having to use CSDiff, the Diff tool from the Gel Java IDE, or the diff tool from ConText to do my comparisons as I find the diff tool in Textpad is just not sufficient for our needs.

The diff tools in Gel and ConText give you color-coded, side-by-side views of the differences, with the common code properly aligned so you can really see what has changed.

The ability to pass multiple filename parameters to the configured external diff tools would also be nice to have.
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

Get tortoiseSVN and use TortoiseMerge that comes with it.

Oh and learn about TortoiseSVN - it will make your lives so much easier (and safer) :)
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!
bgclarke

Post by bgclarke »

ninjalabs wrote:Get tortoiseSVN and use TortoiseMerge that comes with it.

Oh and learn about TortoiseSVN - it will make your lives so much easier (and safer) :)
TortoiseSVN is not a solution my employer would go for.

We currently use SCCS, PVCS, RMS, and are migrating to Borland StarTeam.

Since TortoiseSVN is an open source product they wouldn't go for it; there isn't anyone they could pull the trigger on if something goes awry :wink:
Blah

Post by Blah »

If it is of any interest I use "Compare & Merge", which I've registered, and "Compare It!" which I may register if it continually seems to outdo the other. Probably worth a try ?
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

bgclarke wrote: Since TortoiseSVN is an open source product they wouldn't go for it; there isn't anyone they could pull the trigger on if something goes awry :wink:
Have you ever tried pulling the trigger on Microsoft when sourcesafe goes "to the looney bin"? (I have!) Your EULA has prevented them from taking any responsibility. They take your per-incident 185 UKP and tell you they'll fix it some time in the future. Same goes for all commercial software.

I love companies that use that old one...
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!
tacke

Post by tacke »

Hi,
You can also consider WinMerge, which is free, fast and active project.
I'm using'it from more then 2 years.