Text file icons

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

pjafrombbay

Text file icons

Post by pjafrombbay »

Hi!
I have just completed a full system restore on my Toshiba laptop. I have re-installed TextPad and associated it with .txt files (and some others) but these file do not show the TextPad icon. I have looked on Annoyances.com and tried various solutions there with no effect.
In Win Explorer (Tools>Folder Options>... TXT files are associated with TextPad and the correct icon is shown there but not in the Win Explorer panel.
Any thoughts, its only a minor problem, but it worked before!
Regards,
Peter :cry:
Peter Anderson
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6
helios

Post by helios »

In order to apply the TextPad icon to a file type, you need to make the association in TextPad, rather than in Explorer. Please implement the following procedure:

From the Configure menu choose:

1. Preferences
2. Associated Files
3. Add the file extension
4. Click Apply / OK.

In Explorer:

From the Tools menu in Explorer choose:

1. Folder options
2. File types
3. Select the file extension from the list
4. Click on Advanced
5. Change Icon
6. Select the TextPad icon
7. Click OK

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
pjafrombbay

Text file icons

Post by pjafrombbay »

Stephen,

Thanks for that, all is well again. I had totally forgot to do this. I have had to restore my laptop and re-install all the software and must of had a 'seniors moment'.

While your there, I would like to say that I really appreciate the work done on TextPad. I would like to swap over to Linux but can't find anything equivalent to:
  • TextPad
So I am stuck with Windows. Are there any new developments comming for textPad?

Regards,
Peter :)
Peter Anderson
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6