Editing UNIX .name files

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ADougRay

Editing UNIX .name files

Post by ADougRay »

Hi,

I did a quick search for this and didn't find anything that looked like a match so I'm posting this question. Sorry if I missed an old answer.

I am using TextPad to work with UNIX files and have semi-automated a way to get and put files between UNIX and my PC using ftp. I retrieved the TextPad bshell.syn file and made my own Korn (kshell.syn) version. All of that works OK until I start working with files beginnig with the character ".", such as .profile. Actually I make my own files and since I don't want them to be interfering with any code files when doing a listing (ls), I name my files with a leading "." character, such as ".adr"

Everything works perfectly in UNIX and I can edit most files on my PC using TextPad with the following exceptions:

When I try to associate names such as .* in TextPad, TextPad seems to balk at the name. It takes the name, gives me a warning that says something like "if you want all the files, try .*.*" but then syntax highlighting doesn't work. I even put the TextPad suggested text but the syntax file never kicks in so I have to presume TextPad is not interpreting the name specification correctly. By the way, if I name my file ".adr.sh", I can get the file to edit with the kshell.syn syntax I've set up.

Also, because I keep going back and forth between dos and UNIX, I made a set of Korn shell aliases for the dos commands that will work in UNIX. For example, alias copy='cp'. I put all this material in a file called .dos. Well, *.dos on a PC is a type of Windows file and TextPad has a definition in Binary that says *.dos is a binary file. No matter what I try to do to remove .dos from the Binary collection and put it in my KSh collection, the file always comes up as binary.

Can anyone help me with this? I am trying to use the same convention as UNIX uses for such files as .profile, .kshrc, etc. I know I could use a secondary name, such as .adr.sh but even that has some problems, although not wih the TextPad synatx ighlighting. I'm thinking TxtPad should be able to do this but I can't make it happen. If you know the trick, please let me know.
Thanks,
Doug Ray
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

It's been a while since I had a similar problem so bear with me. Had a limited number of *nix files so I created a list of them on my *nix box and then copy-pasted them all in the relevant document class in TP, also put them in the associated files list. Not a very elegant workaround but did the trick for me. HTH
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

I have the same problem -- I cannot get TextPad to recognize my UNIX shell startup files. I've added .bashrc, *.bashrc, .cshrc, *.cshrc to my file in class Shell, but syntax highlighting, etc. is not used for those files.
Tips?
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

P.S. I have a NetApp file system where I can access my files on both UNIX and Windows. So I want to directly edit my UNIX startup files. And on Windows, Cygwin uses the same Bash startup file names. So in both cases I cannot change the names.