Workspaces and .tws files

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

usbobbie

Workspaces and .tws files

Post by usbobbie »

I click on a .tws file to load a workspace. If I click on another one, it overlays the first instance with the new workspace. Therefore, I have to load Textpad, then load a new workspace from the File / Workspace menu. Is there a way to click on several .tws files and have them load in their own instances?
helios

Post by helios »

You can have each Workspace open in a separate instance of TextPad, by replacing the file "shellext.dll" in the System sub folder of your TextPad installation folder, with the file called DDE Messages, which you can download from here:

http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/index.html

Instructions:

1. From the Configure menu, choose Preferences.
2. General
3. Uncheck the option to put TextPad on the "Context Menu".
4. Exit from TextPad
5. Shut down and restart the computer
5. Put the the file, shellext.dll into the System sub folder of your TextPad installation folder, overwriting the original file.

Next: Restart TextPad.

1. From the Configure menu, choose Preferences.
2. General
3. Check the option to put TextPad on the "Context Menu".
4. Check the option to "Allow multiple instances to run"
4. Click OK

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
usbobbie

Post by usbobbie »

I am able to open multiple instances. But I want to have a shortcut to several .tws files on my taskbar so that when I click on different ones a NEW instance automatically opens with that workspace. If I click on multiple .tws files, they all load in the same instance.

The way I have to do it now is to open a new instance of Textpad, then go to File / Workspace and open it from there. It takes too long this way.

Is there a way to tell the shortcut to open in a new instance - maybe by passing a parameter? Thanks...
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

In Explorer, change the setting for opening .tws file - make sure textpad gets called with the -m parameter
Disk Handler

Post by Disk Handler »

MudGuard wrote:In Explorer, change the setting for opening .tws file - make sure textpad gets called with the -m parameter
I am wanting the same results. I added the -m parameter, and it still opens the next workspace in the same instance.

Right now, I have to open 3 instances and then load the workspace into each of them. If I try to load the 3 workspaces at once, they load one, on top of the other in the same instance leaving me with only the last workspace opened. I'd like to just select the 3 workspaces, hit enter, and have each one open their own instance of TextPad.

THANKS!
Disk Handler

Post by Disk Handler »

...and yes. I did install the other shellext.dll as well.