Double clicking will not work on second file to be opened

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Longhorn

Double clicking will not work on second file to be opened

Post by Longhorn »

I've had a problem crop up in just the past few days after years of working with TextPad. I'm running the latest version of TextPad on Win2K and have all the updates for the OS. When I double click on a text file in Windows Explorer, the file snaps open and I'm ready to go to work. If I want to open a second file while TextPad is already running (whether another file is loaded or not), there is a delay of 10 seconds or so during which my entire system is effectively locked. I CAN use the context menu to open a second file (or third, etc.) but the sub-context menu ("Open with...") will not work either.

After reviewing as many of the relevant problems here in the Forum, I tested turning off DDE in the file association for .txt and I can now double click on a secondary or tertiary (etc.) file, and they snap up once more (A 2.8Ghz processor and 2Gb of RAM are wonderful things to have). The context menu resulting from a right click also works, but the sub-context menu ("Open with...") still does not work.

My question is: Is there a better way to solve this problem? :idea:
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I'm having this same problem. Just started today. Not sure what's going on either. I'm running WinXP SP2.

I can open a single file, which is associated with TextPad, by double clicking it in Windows Explorer. I can right click a single file, which is associated with Textpad, and select Open to open it in TextPad.

If I select two or more files in Windows Explorer, right click, Open, only one of the files opens in TextPad. When I close TextPad, the second and all subsequent files which failed to open will open in a separate instance of TextPad. Each file opens in a separate instance of TextPad, but only one instance at a time will open.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

What are the settings for
- allow multiple file names on command line
- allow multiple instances to run

(Configure - Preferences, General page)
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

Tried all four combinations. No change in behavior. Changed the settings, closed TextPad, reopened TextPad, attempted to open multiple files.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
tycho

Post by tycho »

As a workaround, I use drag'n drop when texpad is open - that always works.
melvinsb

Problem Opening Multiple Files

Post by melvinsb »

I've also been experiencing the multiple file opening problem, using TextPad 4.7.3 and it is really annoying. I'm running Win XP and have been using TextPad for a number of years under various Windows OSes with no such problems at all until several months ago (no specific changes to my system were made). It turns out that if one waits about 2 minutes, the other files will eventually open, one at a time - excruciatingly slowly. This is a real drag. :cry: