TextPad on a USB Flash Drive

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

swingheim

TextPad on a USB Flash Drive

Post by swingheim »

:arrow: I use TextPad for just about everything ... and I recently acquired a 512 MB SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB flash drive.

:arrow: I decided to put TextPad on it, and remove it from my desktop machine -- and it appears to work just fine. I have not tried it out however on a machine that TextPad had been previously installed on, and assume that I will have to re-enter my key.

:?: Why on a USB Drive:
:!: Because I am tired of syncing my syntax files between home and work... that, and there were times I sat down on a machine and wished "Dang, I wish I had TextPad installed on this machine ... Notepad stinks"

:wink: Has anyone else tried this? What have been your successes/failures? Do you care to share any advice about your experience? Discuss.
robbage

Post by robbage »

If you use it on a machine where textpad has never been installed then you will obviously not get the registration... and stuck, initially, with the default settings. Fix most of that by saving the appropriate registry path (from a machine where TP is set to your liking) to your usb drive and 'merge' it to any new machine. Some stuff won't migrate though.

Hopefully an option to export settings will arrive with the next version, or an option to use a settings file instead of the registry would be even better :-). Also, you lose the contextmenu item if you haven't installed. I'm not sure how this is reinstated but would be handy to find out.. :-)

Also, not sure what happens if you use the folder from a win98/me install on a 2000/XP box or vice versa... might be different binary(s) ?