4.7.3 Memory can not be read when using File | Print

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

matteg

4.7.3 Memory can not be read when using File | Print

Post by matteg »

Today I am unable to print a text file. When I attempt File | Print or click the print Button, I receive a windows application error dialog with the option to click OK to terminate the program or Cancel to debug. Ok closes textpad.

I am not aware of any software being installed but I can not guarantee that since our IT staff often silently push out updates when we login to our network.

The exact error message is "The instruction at 0x0046c9cd referenced memory at 0x000000028. The memory could not be read. Click Ok to terminate the program. Click Cancel to debug the program."

My PC is running Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP4 with 622,064 Kb RAM.

I use Textpad all the time and would appreciate knowing if there is a workaround to avoid re-installing.

Thanks
Gerry Matte
matteg

Amendment - Software install maybe broke Textpad

Post by matteg »

After my original post, I realised that I did install some new software that likely broke Textpad. The software was Intuit's Quicken Suite 2005 which I used for preparing my Canada personal income tax return.

It appears likely that Textpad is using the windows print API in a non standard manner that conflicts with the Quicken package somehow.

You may encounter this problem for many of your Canadian users.
matteg

Re-Installing Textpad fixed the problem

Post by matteg »

I first attempted to Repair my existing Textpad but that was ineffective.

A complete removal followed by a fresh new install resulted in a functional Textpad. Of course, I lost all the custom settings, etc that I had accumulated over the years :(

Since no other application on my PC seems to have been affected, I have concluded that Textpad is using non standard printing methods. Perhaps this could be revised in a future version of Textpad ?
BarrCoder

Instruction at referenced memory...could not be read

Post by BarrCoder »

I am also getting this error on the 4.7.3 version I installed on my new laptop except I don't get the error when I click on File;Print, I get it when my wallpaper changes or I move my mouse over the system tray icons. It seems to be specifically those that I've compiled in Visual Basic 6.0. I've re-installed Visual Basic after TextPad to see if that would fix it and it did not. Also after installing TextPad, PrintKey 2000 now crashes with the memory error also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!