copy and paste from Outlook

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mo

copy and paste from Outlook

Post by mo »

Hello,

When I copy and paste from an e-mail in outlook into TextPad -- which is the way I like to compose e-mails, frequently something goes haywire with regard to word-wrap. No matter how wide the lines of the pasted material, any new typing goes one or two characters beyond the right margin causing the page to jump back and forth. Nutz-making.

Does anyone know how to correct this? Sometimes copying and pasting from the TextPad document into another new document corrects the problem, sometimes not.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

Typing at the end, or in the body of text?

If the end, I don't know, but if it's in the bulk of the text, it's probably just the wordwrap being made to constantly revise the best point to break a line as you add more to it.

Also, the presence of tab characters (Hex 09) might have a dramatic effect on this.
mo

Post by mo »

Hello,

Thanks for the response. Yes it is the word-wrap revising. This doesn't happen in a fresh TP file, it only jumps back and forth when working on an Outlook ... or other e-mail file that has been copied and pasted into TP.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Lostgallifreyan

ok.. I'm not sure what the best fix is, but I think what I'd do to remove momentary annoyance is to click in the position I want to work from, then press the Enter key to make a newline or two, then when I click back to the working point I can type without it misbehaving. Then delete newlines lines to join the data afterwards.

Just tested this in the text box while writing this, as it behaves the same way as wordwrap in TextPad. It works.
mo

Post by mo »

OK, thanks, I see how I could do that. Something else I do also sometimes works but sometimes not, and that is just saving the document again.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
mo

Post by mo »

OK, thanks, I see how I could do that. Something else I do also sometimes works but sometimes not, and that is just saving the document again.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Lostgallifreyan

Curious..
Sounds like tabs converted to spaces on pasting, possibly, then on saving, the trailing spaces may be stripped. All this would depend on your settings for TextPad, and I can't remember what the defaults are. Also, copies from HTML rendered in the browser or any app that uses the browser engine often have no end of garbage attached, formatting tags, weird clusters of spaces, and such.