How many textpad users are there?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

xjamesb

How many textpad users are there?

Post by xjamesb »

How popular is textpad?

Does anyone know how many users there are?

I am a fan but the rest of my office uses another product which shall remain nameless!
James M Bayley
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

The forum has 3037 registered users - so I guess the total number of textpad users is higher than that as not every user will register here ...

Only the Helios people can tell you how many licenses they have sold - but I guess they won't
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

The forum has 3037 registered users
Interesting. I wonder why such an insignificant proportion of our licensed users have registered on the forum? Perhaps most queries can be answered simply by browsing or searching through some of the excellent responses that can be found here. You only need to register to post a new query.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
xjamesb

Post by xjamesb »

"insignificant proportion"! Thats very coy. If it is 1% then it must be 300,000 users. Thats quite a lot!
James M Bayley
ninjalabs

Post by ninjalabs »

well a company i used to work for (Raytheon Systems Limited) bought a large site license (i think it was about 500 users+)
TextPad redneck since 1999.
NinjaLabs is now CSWD Limited!
xjamesb

Post by xjamesb »

Hmm. 724,231 downloads since last July on Download.com. Assuming this has been constant since version 4. (1999?) would put the downloaded base at about 5 M. Of course only a small proportion would actually license the product but then then there would be some downloads directly from the site.

I plump for a licensed base of 4.x of 600,000. Double my previous estimate.
James M Bayley
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

How relevant is the number of downloads?

This includes those who download TP, test it and (for whatever reasons) never use it.
This includes not cases like my company - I download a new version once to our company server, all the licensees in the company get their copy from there. Many users, just one download ...
This includes multiple attempts to download in case of download failure.
This includes also downloads to multiple machines (e.g. at company and at home). I use TP at home on my private license, and at work on the company license. Do I count as 1 user or as 2 users?

And so on - many factors that make the number of downloads different from the number of users.