Length of selected text

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

dixonc

Length of selected text

Post by dixonc »

Often when writing code I want to know how many characters a variable name is - could there be an enhancement that when a section of text is selected the number of characters is shown, e.g. bottom right where the cursor coords are displayed?

Cheers,

Chris
A bit iffy

Post by A bit iffy »

Possibly it's not perfect for you, but you can obtain this information by right-clicking the selected text and choosing Properties. It's shown under the document statistics.
MudGuard

Re: Length of selected text

Post by MudGuard »

dixonc wrote:Often when writing code I want to know how many characters a variable name is - could there be an enhancement that when a section of text is selected the number of characters is shown, e.g. bottom right where the cursor coords are displayed?
Does it have to be at the bottom right?

If bottom left were allowed too, you could just use the current version of Textpad (as long as the selection is in one line, the number of selected bytes is displayed in the status field - if not in one line, the number of selected lines is displayed).
dixonc

Post by dixonc »

:lol: I hadn't noticed the byte counter!!! (I didn't care where it was - bottom left is fine by me!)
The good thing is that I no longer have to rely on my ability to count....

Thanks for pointing that out

Regards,

Chris