A few WildEdit Suggestions

General questions about using WildEdit

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

StephenMSmith

A few WildEdit Suggestions

Post by StephenMSmith »

Hi there. I just purchased WildEdit as it is exactly what I need for a current project and it's too painful (for me at least) to search and replace blocks of text using regular expressions in TextPad. I have a few suggestions:

1) How about setting the default for the "In Files Matching" dropdown to the file that's been used to launch WildEdit? Or at least set the default to the extension of this file. Isn't it far more likely that you will be doing mass search&replaces on files of the same type whenever you launch WildEdit?

2) I'd really like to be able to double-click on a file listed in the log window after executing, eg. I do a search&replace on a whole bunch of text files and then double-click on one the modifed files to see the file contents in TextPad.

3) How about color-coding modified files in the log window so that they are easier to identify when mixed in w/other files that weren't modified?

Thanks,
Steve
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

On nr. 2 you can right click on the files and view them in the Test tab in WE. On nr. 3 you can set an option to "do not log files that have not been modified". HTH
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
DeNelo

Post by DeNelo »

On no. 2) - you can't load files > 64 Kb, so...
roderickm

a few more suggestions...

Post by roderickm »

1) Give me a switch to disable writing backup files, possibly with modal poup: "Warning: You're about to do a search-and-replace across X files with NO BACKUP. Continue? Y/N" Once I've tested my regex and want to run it across hundreds of files on a regular basis, it only slows down the process to make so many backup copies that I know I won't need.

2) Allow a list of search-and-replace actions to be created, saved, and replayed on a file target set. I need to run three distinct regex replacements on hundreds of files weekly. Instead of uploading them to a box that runs Perl properly, I'd like to open a WildEdit "recipe" and click the Play button, confirm that I don't want backups, and go grab my coffee.

I like the convenience of WildEdit. I'd like it more with these two features.