Unix commands/applications?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kperese

Unix commands/applications?

Post by kperese »

Hi,

I was wondering about whether anyone has tried to set up Textpad to submit programs to a Unix server. I have previously configured Textpad tools to submit programs to be executed on my PC, but I have recently had to move my computing onto a Unix server. I have Samba set up so I can open program files in Textpad directly from the Unix server, but I would like to be able to issue a Unix command from Textpad (e.g., sas $file) to execute it on the Unix server. However, the option under tools to run a program seem to only allow executable files to be found.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Have you tried rsh or rexec?
kperese

Post by kperese »

No, I haven't. More importantly, I don't know anything about either of those options. Is there anything more you could tell me about them?

Thanks,
Kevin
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

rsh stands for Remote SHell, rexec for Remote EXECute, they are both available from a DOS prompt. If there's either a rsh or a rexec deamon running on the unix/linux server, you can use rsh/rexec to execute commands remotely.

Command syntax for rsh:

Runs commands on remote hosts running the RSH service.

Code: Select all

RSH host [-l username] [-n] command

host            Specifies the remote host on which to run 
                  command.
  -l username     Specifies the user name to use on the 
                  remote host. If omitted, the logged on 
                  user name is used.
  -n              Redirects the input of RSH to NULL.
  command         Specifies the command to run.
Command syntax for rexec:

Code: Select all

Runs commands on remote hosts running the REXEC 
service. Rexec authenticates the user name on the remote 
host before executing the specified command.

REXEC host [-l username] [-n] command

host            Specifies the remote host on which to run 
                  command.
  -l username     Specifies the user name on the remote host.
  -n              Redirects the input of REXEC to NULL.
  command         Specifies the command to run.
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

I have. I use rexec. I don't use Windows version because you cannot specific the password (-p option) to the server in the call. I bought a very excellent toolset from DENICOMP SYSTEMS for under $40. To simplify the calls, I have all my TextPad tools execute a batch file that does an rexec to a shell script on Solaris to do compiles, etc. The main reason for the batch file was so there is only one place to change the password in the rexec call when I change my Solaris password. The shell script is to "source" my profile because is seems (at least on our machine) that the rexec'd connection does not. I have recently changed the batch file to be a perl script so I could other stuff more easily like converting file paths when needed.
innovativefx

Post by innovativefx »

I have to do something similar at my job. I have to ftp my code to a unix box and run a shell script to 'stage' the code for release. I set up a tool to ftp and stage the code with one click of the button. What I did is set up a tool that runs a batch file to ftp the file to the unix box, then the batch files calls a macro I wrote for Tera Term (telnet app) which fires off a telnet session, runs the macro I wrote, then closes the session when complete. I thought about using remote shell also, but our SAs are nazis, so I had to improvise :twisted: