TextPad looses Association with *.TXT in XP Pro

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

CONFUSER

TextPad looses Association with *.TXT in XP Pro

Post by CONFUSER »

Hi:
Weird and the last time this happened I had to use RegCrawler to Edit replace Notepad.exe associated with TXT with Textpad. I am running 4.73 (I think anyway latest version.)

All of a sudden when I hit a text fin (not open - double click on it) Notepad.exe open instead. And then gives an error message (sometimes) that Textpad was unable to find the file in temp. (This frequently occurs when I open a text file in an open WinZip Archive.

I unassociated and then re associated Textpad with TXT, and then reinstalled the current version.

Any ideas other then me manually having to edit my HUGE 18 MB registry!! lol

Thanks
lashicd

use open with

Post by lashicd »

Try right clicking on the .txt file and choose open with.
Then select choose program.
This will open up a new window. In this window select TextPad and then make sure that the "always use this program" check box is checked.

Hope that this works for you.
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

I have the same problem, anyone found a solution yet?

Right now, when I double-click on a .txt file, it opens in notepad. When I right-click and choose Open With, I have 3 options: Notepad, Microsoft Excel for Windows and Choose Program.... This last option opens a dialog with Recommended Programs (Notepad and Excel) and Other Programs (Textpad is not among them). I can click on Browse, and browse to textpad.exe, but after that, nothing happens (Textpad is not added to the list). The same thing happens when I open Tools | Folder Options | File Types in Window's Explorer.

TP: 4.7.3
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Found the answer just a fwe minutes after my previous post...

Change the default value for

Code: Select all

HKCR\txtfile\shell\open\command
to

C:\Program\TextPad 4\Textpad.exe "%1"

HKCR\txtfile\shell\print\command
to

C:\Program\TextPad 4\Textpad.exe /p "%1"

HKCR\txtfile\DefaultIcon
to

C:\Program\TextPad 4\Textpad.exe,18
Still I'm wondering if there's a bug in the code for associating files with TextPad (Configure | Preferences | Associated Files)