Unicode suggestion on writing BOM

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

seaktf

Unicode suggestion on writing BOM

Post by seaktf »

More and more Unicode is used nowadays, I think TextPad needs to enchance/improve in this direction.

1) When Textpad opens a file which has a BOM, IMO, it would be nice to keep it on writing it back, no matter what is chosen in preference.
When there's no BOM but TextPad manages to guess that the file is in Unicode, no BOM should be written back to file on saving, no matter what is chosen in preferences.
In other words, TextPad should keep the file's original information regarding BOM.

2) In the "Save as..." dialog, add an option called "Write BOM" next to Encoding field. Just like the Selection on option. This option should be greyed out when Encoding is neither UTF-8 nor Unicode.

MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

1) it should be a three-way option in the document class:
- always write BOM on UTF files
- never write BOM on UTF files
- use what you found when opening the file
seaktf

Post by seaktf »

Yeah, why not!

What is most important for me is the ability to keep whatever is found. Right now, I have to switch back and forth the preference option. That really drives me mad. :?
claco

Post by claco »

I'd like to further this request.
It would be nice to have two individual choices: one to write BOM for UTF-8, and one to writ eht BOM for UTF-16.

I always use the BOM for UTF-16. I never use the BOM for UTF-8. Among other reasons, ASP craps out when the BOM is present. Since most files I write are UTF-8, I have to set Testpad to ditch the BOM.

However, if I forget that when I need to edit or create some UTF-16 files, the BOM is ditched and all hell breaks loose.
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

And while we're on the subject of Unicode, let us not forget this poll over here.