Changing Windows users

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

morganf

Changing Windows users

Post by morganf »

Hi,

I'm a longtime Textpad user & a great supporter of the product. (Of course, registered etc., for years.) I use Textpad, taking advantage of its many customizations & configurations.

I just changed users on my Windows XP machine: I created a new administrative user that will now be my main user on this computer. The problem is that now, when I run Textpad, it thinks I'm a different person - unregistered, without my configuration options.

I tried to solve this by going to:

C:\Documents and Settings\OldUserName\Application Data\TextPad

And copying this directory to:

C:\Documents and Settings\NewUserName\Application Data\TextPad

The only thing in this directory is one file, called u1033.TLX

But this doesn't solve the problem. And I don't know what else to do. What do you recommend?

Thank you!!!!

morgan
morganf

Follow-up

Post by morganf »

Hi,

Here's the latest information on the problem:

In browsing this forum, I found out about the registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\Textpad 4

I exported it (under the old user); then, under the new user, I double-clicked on the exported file to import it. I rebooted. I do a regedit and look at the new registry file and confirm that it's there (yes, the registry information is there). And Textpad STILL doesn't recognize me, even after a reboot :( Are there other registry entries? What else can I do?

Thanks for your help!
-morgan
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Why not simply enter the registration code again?
helios

Post by helios »

Please see the following post which specifically refers to TextPad tools, but the procedure is the same:

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5603

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
morganf

Instructions

Post by morganf »

Stephen,

Thanks for your instructions. They look great. I've been trying to follow them, and I have one question I can't solve:

I exported the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 4 as you suggest. I then did the search-and-replace as you recommend. But then you say:

"Save the file, but before doing this, check that the option to "Write Unicode and UTF-8 BOM" is ticked for the particular document class, on the options Preferences page."

I can't find the option to do this. While editing the document, I created a newclass that I called Reg. I then went to Preferences --> Document Classes --> Reg, to edit the new class. Under the preferences for this class, I see categories such as Colors, Font, Printing, Syntax, and Tabulation - but nothing to help me save documents in that class as Unicode & UTF-8 BOM. I'm not sure what do do. What do you advise? I'm using Textpad 4.5.0 in case it's relevant. What do you recommend I do?

Thanks!!!!

-morgan
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

In Configure-Preferences - Document Classes,
select your REG-Class, not one of its sub-categories.
You should see a list of options on the righthand side.
In my Textpad, "Write Unicode and UTF8 BOM" is the 6th option from the top (might vary with language settings)
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

It's under
Configure | Preferences... | Document Class | Reg

[x] Write Unicode and UTF-8 BOM
It's not under a subsubheading.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Snap!
morganf

Am I blind?

Post by morganf »

Hi guys,

I'm worried that I might be blind :( I'm looking and looking in - what I think is the exact spot that you're telling me to look for this option - and I just don't see it.

To show you what I see, and to try to make it as easy as possible to see and fix this problem, I took two screen shots of what I see when I go to this exact point that you tell me to look at. Here is what I see:

http://www.pressant.com/Capture-08-23-00001.jpg
http://www.pressant.com/Capture-08-23-00002.jpg

Am I looking in the right place? If I'm understanding you correctly, it should be an item on the list under "Document class options" but, as you can see in these screen shots, there is no option.

What do you recommend? Where should I look for this option?

THank you for all you help!!!

I'm really worried that I've either gone blind or I've forgotten how to read! But I'm really looking for this option...!

-morgan
morganf

Ah!

Post by morganf »

I just found out from Stephen that I need to first upgrade to Textpad 4.7.3, to see that option! I'll do that now!

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!

-morgan
morganf

Upgraded Textpad; still no go

Post by morganf »

Hi All,

So I upgraded Textpad to 4.7.3 and I then followed the instructions.... and it still doesn't work :( Here's the latest:

I created the document class reg and for the "Files in class reg" I put ".reg". I checked "Write unicode and UTF-8 BOM". I then edited the exported registry file as instructed. I saved it. And then, from explorer, when I launch it, I get this error:

"Cannot important D:\Desktop\TEXTPA~2.REG: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."

This file is just the same exported registry file, with the one change made, saved in Unicode. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. WHat do you recommend?

THanks!!!!

-morgan
ben_josephs

Re: Upgraded Textpad; still no go

Post by ben_josephs »

morganf wrote:I created the document class reg and for the "Files in class reg" I put ".reg".
That should be
*.reg
RichardBronosky

This should not be this hard!

Post by RichardBronosky »

It is very disappointing that this is so hard. I maintain a FARM of text boxes. It's really sad that textPad stinks on all of them. I have set the keyboard shortcuts to mimic those of BBEdit on my Windows Dev box, but on all of the test boxes I can't waste the time that it would take to config them. However, I loose so much productivity that I can't figure out what's best.

This model of exporting config's is NOT enterprise strength. I love the VIM model. I love BBEdit on my Mac. Why is everything about dealing Windows a nightmare?

--Bruno (Paid TextPad user since 90-something.)