Replacement functionality

General questions about using WildEdit

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ben_josephs

Replacement functionality

Post by ben_josephs »

This is potentially a very useful tool.

A couple of suggestions:

An option to make replacements literal. Then, for example, replacement DOS-style paths (with backslashes) could be simply copy-and-pasted into the "Replace with:" field.

An option to display each match before it is replaced. The user would choose to replace it or ignore it, to replace all remaining matches, to stop the search (keeping all changes done so far), or to abandon it altogether (undoing all changes done so far).
mo

Post by mo »

second both these suggestions. The second is a feature of "Search and Replace" and can save you from a big mistake occasionally. The way they implement it is to show the line where the replacement occurs, the location of the replacement in that line (highlighted), and the replaced line the way it will look. The "log" is then made up of all this detail regarding the replacements.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Martin

Post by Martin »

ACK, in my case it took time and some mishaps to find out, that the 'Replace with'-text always is non-literal. No matter if 'Regular expression' in on or off.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

As suggested on the startup page of the online help, please read the Warnings section, before starting to use WildEdit. It could save you a lot of time! :wink:

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Martin

Post by Martin »

Yep, RTFM :oops: . On the other hand, a hint in the interface or a more intuitive behavior wouldn't hurt either. :wink:
bgclarke

Post by bgclarke »

bbadmin wrote:As suggested on the startup page of the online help, please read the Warnings section, before starting to use WildEdit.
I don't think programmers read any of that stuff until something goes wrong :lol: I know that's how I do it :oops:

While tinkering with WildEdit, I managed to mangle the package names in about half of our Java code base.....it's a good thing WildEdit makes backups :wink:
zap_zip

Also see the need for the "option" to accept on se

Post by zap_zip »

I have used another multi-file editor that allow the user to review the "found" strings and where they occur in one or more documents without making the change unitl approved by the user. the user can accept or move to the next change or, at any time, decide to go ahead and let the program make all of the changes to all of the files at one.
Juan Macedo

a good batch simple operation with some commands

Post by Juan Macedo »

Martin wrote:Yep, RTFM :oops: . On the other hand, a hint in the interface or a more intuitive behavior wouldn't hurt either. :wink:
You could add an interface as this:

You can use the following batch file to replace the names Frank with Michael and Smith with Jones.

<Command>

<Search>Frank</Search>
<Replace>Michael</Replace>
</Command>
<Command>
<Search>Smith</Search>
<Replace>Jones</Replace>
</Command>

Copyright © 1998 Ingo Straub, Schützenhof 2, 73116 Wäschenbeuren