TextPad for Linux

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

If Helios was willing to develop a version of TextPad for Linux...

I would be so happy, I wouldn't even mind the fact that TextPad development on Windows would be stalled for another 2 years. And I'd gladly pay for the Linux version.
31%
I'd be pretty happy, as long as TextPad development on Windows wasn't delayed by much. And I might pay for the Linux version.
27%
I couldn't care less.
10%
I would be a little irritated, knowing that development of TextPad on Windows would probably stall a little bit.
22%
I would be angry. Who cares about Linux? Development of TextPad on Linux will **totally** screw up development on Windows.
9%

Total votes: 67

s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Nahh, this Q was first posted here and then in the General forum. I do know it's not on topic but the first part was. Sorry. :oops:
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
SteveH

re: TextPad for Linux...

Post by SteveH »

I reckon I would be pretty happpy for all those Linux users. What I really want is TextPad for Mac OS X now!

Cheers,

Steve
lartninja

Post by lartninja »

AFAIK, Textpad is written in MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) in C++. Most of the functionality is tied to the Windows development model. This would probably make it uneconomical to develop on Linux as you'd have to port everything to another GUI toolkit (Qt/GTK etc etc...)

There is a good UNIX editor with the equivalent power of TextPad however: Vim

This is basically good old UNIX vi on acid. There is an "easy" mode which pretty much emulates the standard "Windows editing ways".

More info: http://www.vim.org/

Vim for UNIX / OSX
Textpad for Windows

If you're going to run something on wine - just install windows ffs.
peterv6

TextPad for Linux

Post by peterv6 »

[color=blue][/color]I will definitely buy TextPad for Linux if a version is ever created, however I believe that current registered owners of the Windows version should at least get a discount on a Linux version!
asayogure

PLEASE!

Post by asayogure »

Please, oh please, oh please release a version of textpad that runs natively on Linux. I am dying out here! :(
luegner

Post by luegner »

I say develop a new version of Textpad to run on Linux. I've looked into other X editors on Linux and they're just lacking in features that I'm used to on Textpad. A native Linux version is of course always better than Wine. As anyone knows with Wine, it's hit or miss as to whether or not the program will always function correctly.