"Are you sure?" prompt before exiting

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Is adding an "Are you sure?" prompt before exiting TextPad useful?

Yes, I'd find it useful
No votes
Yes, it'd probably be useful, but I wouldn't use it
25%
No, don't do it
75%

Total votes: 24

mjkahn

"Are you sure?" prompt before exiting

Post by mjkahn »

Having just accidentally clicked the Windows "X" icon in the top right corner of the TextPad window instead of the "maximize" icon that I meant to click, and having managed to do that accidentally three times in three days, I think it might be useful to add an "Are you sure you want to exit?" prompt before closing down TextPad, especially if TextPad is closing because of the user clicked the Windows "X" icon.

Such a prompt could be enabled/disabled through a Tools/Preferences option, so people who don't want it wouldn't have to see it.

I know that most Windows applications don't usually ask "Are you sure?" before exiting (especially when there are no unsaved files), but given the hassle of re-starting TextPad and re-opening the dozen or so documents I had open at the time I accidentally clicked that #$%X! button, I figured I'd ask.

(I know about TextPad workspaces, but they wouldn't have helped me, since it's always a different dozen or so documents that I have open.)

Thanks for considering it!

MJ.
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

In the mean time you could start each session with an empty document, TP can do this, and modify it at once! ;)
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

To reduce the risk of accidentally hitting the Close button instead of the Maximize button:

double click the title bar of the window (in a place far from the Close button).

a second double click on the title bar will switch back to former window size.

This works with almost all windows, not only in TextPad.
lartninja

Post by lartninja »

This would be bad.

If TextPad starts holding my hand and asking me hundreds of sequential questions then I'm moving to Vim.
BenjiSmith

Post by BenjiSmith »

Sometimes I accidentally mistype a keyword in my programming language of choice. This leads to compilation errors, which can be difficult to debug.

Consequently, I would like TextPad to prompt me after each keypress. A small dialogue box could appear with a message such as:

Are you sure you wanted to type the letter 'a'?

[Yes] [No]

Having functionality like this would greatly simplify my life.
Last edited by BenjiSmith on Tue May 25, 2004 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

BenjiSmith is almost correct. But the prompt should happen just after the KeyPressDown, before allowing KeyUp, in case you want to change your mind first.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
skaemper

Not another safety question...

Post by skaemper »

Hi all,

no matter how you close TextPad, if there are unsaved changings in one or more files, you are already asked whether you like them to be saved or discarded.
Please don't get me wrong, but if you manage to accidentally close TextPad and answer the safety query wrong, then prehaps you just need to calm down a bit when working with TextPad. :wink: But I have to admit: It's really exciting to work with TextPad. :D

Happy editing

Stephan
"It's POLYMORPHIC!"
A former colleague
mo

Post by mo »

In response to Bob H and above (way above) ---
Some careless thinking going on here folks! The prompt needs to be before the downpress of the key.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
gracefool

Post by gracefool »

echo the above. This would suck.
lionelb

Post by lionelb »

While we're on the subject, of course anyone exiting TextPad without saving an edit obviously intends to discard it. Therefore, the "Save changes to ...?" prompt should be changed to "Discard changes to ...?" With the "Yes" button highlighted, naturally. :wink:
Lionel B