Save and restore settings

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

dwelch

Save and restore settings

Post by dwelch »

How does one go about saving and restoring settings. From colors to tab preferences, etc. Say when you have textpad on two machines or, are re-installing a machine? It is a bit painful to have to go through all of the menus and screens for each install...

David

Put me down for another vote for TextPad for Linux, syntax highlight does not work under Wine which makes TextPad a bit painful to use (now that I come to rely on syntax highlighting). (even vi does syntax highlighting)...
s_reynisson

Re: Save and restore settings

Post by s_reynisson »

Objection, asked and answered here. :P
dwelch wrote:How does one go about saving and restoring settings. From colors to tab preferences, etc. Say when you have textpad on two machines or, are re-installing a machine? It is a bit painful to have to go through all of the menus and screens for each install...
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
BryceS

Post by BryceS »

Hi,

In the past when I've wanted to do this I've just found the textpad key in the registry, exported it to a file, and then imported that on the other machine.

so, in Regedt32.exe go to key
HKCU\Software\Helios\Textpad 4
export the entire key.

on other machine in regedt32.exe highlight the above Textpad 4 key and choose import - find file and that should do it.

You'll need textpad to be installed in the same location on both machines, especially your 'folders' so textpad can find macros, etc. You'll have to copy over custom macros, etc to other machine as well.

Good luck.

Regards,
Bryce Stenberg
(Harness Racing New Zealand computer dept.)
ourbach

Export / Impoert Settings

Post by ourbach »

My company doesn't alows the usage of regedit. Has anyone an idea how to export the settings in such a case?

I just got a new pc and need to move my settings on it.

Thanks a lott for help.
BryceS

Post by BryceS »

Hi,

If your running XP (or later) there is a built in command 'reg.exe'.

To export key try command like:

reg export HKCU\SOFTWARE\Helios\TextPad4 MySaveFile.reg

To add it to registry:

reg import MySaveFile.reg

Your company may not have blocked access to the 'reg' command, and hopefully you have permissions to add the the hkey_current_user registry key.

Good luck,

Bryce Stenberg
(Harness Racing New Zealand computer dept.)