Explorer option "Search with Textpad"

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Gert Arnold

Explorer option "Search with Textpad"

Post by Gert Arnold »

I often use "Find in Files" in Textpad. Mostly, my starting point is a folder that I see in my (Windows) Exporer window. I then send the name of the folder to clipboard and paste it into the "In folder" box of textpad's Find dialog. It would make life a bit easier if I could right-click a folder in the Exporer and click an option "Search with Textpad", which would start (or activate) textpad with the folder name in the Find in Files dialog. Shouldn't be too hard to make such a shell extension?
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

Currently, if you right-click on a folder, you can do "Send To" followed by "TextPad".

TextPad then KNOWS the name of the directory in which you are interested. Unfortunately, it does the wrong thing with it - it tries to treat it as a file and fails badly.

I imagine it would be a relatively simple to change to allow TextPad to be opened with a folder name instead of a file name. (You could do this from the command line too). If this just opened up the find in files dialog, then Gert's suggestion would just magically come true, without even needing to mess around with shell extensions!

I like the idea. It's a goodun. And I think it's simpler to implement than Gert suggests.

Jill
javamaniac

Re: Explorer option "Search with Textpad"

Post by javamaniac »

Gert Arnold wrote:I often use "Find in Files" in Textpad. Mostly, my starting point is a folder that I see in my (Windows) Exporer window. I then send the name of the folder to clipboard and paste it into the "In folder" box of textpad's Find dialog. It would make life a bit easier if I could right-click a folder in the Exporer and click an option "Search with Textpad", which would start (or activate) textpad with the folder name in the Find in Files dialog. Shouldn't be too hard to make such a shell extension?
Did you find a solution since you wrote this? I'm lokking for this solution too.
Gert Arnold

Post by Gert Arnold »

Well, it's been a while since I visited this forum. You probably noticed yourself that Textpad seems completely dead at the moment. So, no, there is no solution to this question, yet.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Yes, yes, TP's dead. As was this lonely thread. :roll:

At any rate, this is not a current feature of TextPad. As indicated elsewhere in this forum, the proper way for enhancement suggestions to get into the hopper for Helios to see what the clammoring masses want for their product is to create a 5 option poll and submit it.

Personally, I'd only vote for it if it was a quick fix as you have the means of achieving your search, just not as streamlined as you'd want.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.