How about Source Control feature?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

manny

How about Source Control feature?

Post by manny »

One of the biggest features that holds me, and I suspect a lot of other developers to a particular development ID is the support for collaborative development with file checkouts/checkins. As it is, Textpad does not support any collaborative development via source-code management.

Texpad could really benefit from support for any of the available source-code management packages like V.SourceSafe, or CVS. Are there any plans to support this in the works?
Jens Hollmann

Re: How about Source Control feature?

Post by Jens Hollmann »

At least CVS can be used as user defined tool. Or as several tools for the different cases (status, annotate, checkin). Simply create a tool with \"cvs\" as the command and e.g. \"status $FileName\" as the parameter and \"$FileDir\" as the path.

This is possible because CVS stores the information where a file is in the master-repository in the directory of the file (subdirectory CVS).

Visual SourceSafe does not, so this is not at all a handy tool for command-line usage. You will have to somehow \"guess\" the right project of SourceSafe.

So I would say that CVS does not really need to be integrated unless you expect handy gimmicks like visual diff between your current version and the repository for example. An emacs-like annotate would be nice too.

Now I come to think of it: You are right :-)

I think we all are all on edge about version 5.0 ;-)
manny

Post by manny »

Thanks for the tip on tweaking TextPad to work with CVS, Jens. I'm a VSS man myself, and, yes, I do like the "gimmicky" GUI thingys ;=)

I've not worked with CVS before, but understand that there are GUI hook-ins to it out there. Adding one of those to Textpad would REALLY be great!
Andrew van Renen

Post by Andrew van Renen »

Sourcesafe does have something like that -

in Tools/Options/CommandLineOptions, select option "Assume Project Based on Working Folder" - any command line command will then look at the item it is working on, and switch to its relevant project.

You can define a CheckOut tool with command: 'D:\MSVS6E\Common\VSS\win32\Ss.exe', and parameter 'checkout $FileName -GTM' (with initial folder set to '$FileDir'). For CheckIn use parameter 'checkin $FileName -C- -I-N'.

You do need a pointer to the Sourcesafe database: an environment variable called 'ssdir' that points to the locaiton of the srcsafe.ini file for your sourcesafe database.

This is not the same as built-in support though, since you cannot supply comments to go with your checkin.
marinhekman

how to integrate tortoise cvs in textpad

Post by marinhekman »

I started a HOW-TO thread, people check it out, it is wonderfull:

-how to integrate tortoise cvs in textpad-

http://textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5281