textpad won't open when debugging

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

brodie

textpad won't open when debugging

Post by brodie »

Hi,

I'm experiencing a annoying problem with Textpad. When I have a VC.NET 2002 debugging session running, I can't start Textpad from explorer. This appears to happen when the program I am debugging has written files to the disk. The files that I try to open don't have anything to do with the program being debugged. (Note: the program is running under debugger, not stopped on a breakpoint).

For instance, I highlight a file in explorer and choose "Open in Textpad" from the context menu. Explorer will hang (no redraws) and Textpad will not open. Otherwise the system operates without a problem. At this stage I cannot start Textpad from the Run menu either, although it would have started if I had tried before trying to open a file from explorer.

As soon as I stop the debugger Textpad will continue to open the file and explorer will start redraws again.

It appears to me like system/Textpad is hung in a DDE wait. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Anyone have any ideas where the problem may lie? (e.g. Textpad or in my program that I'm debugging).

Regards,
Brodie
helios

Post by helios »

As you have already surmised, the debugger is blocking DDE messages. The work around is to avoid using DDE for the files associated to TextPad.
Helios Software Solutions