extend textpad for use as a multifunctional tool

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Flink

extend textpad for use as a multifunctional tool

Post by Flink »

I would like to use some functions of textpad in other programs like TortoiseCVS.
The only thing I need would be some command line paramters for textpad, so I could misuse it as a tool to compare two files and store the result in another file. :P
:arrow: This would extend textpad to be a multifunctional tool useful to everyone who has to write command line scripts!
16. - 21. August 2005: Weltjugendtag in Köln
BenjiSmith

Post by BenjiSmith »

This functionality has actually been available for many years.

It's a little known feature of TextPad called "perl".

In fact, it's become so popular that it's only available as a separate download from the main GUI version of TextPad (go to http://perl.org to check it out).

And also, due to its overwhelming popularity, it was invented several years before TextPad existed.
Flink

Post by Flink »

BenjiSmith wrote:This functionality has actually been available for many years.

In fact, it's become so popular that it's only available as a separate download from the main GUI version of TextPad (go to http://perl.org to check it out).

And also, due to its overwhelming popularity, it was invented several years before TextPad existed.
What do you mean?
- to use Perl instead of TextPad
- where to download a TextPad-version for commandline usage
:?:
16. - 21. August 2005: Weltjugendtag in Köln
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

I believe that BenjiSmith meant that you can use ANY scripting language for this purpose, and that he/she was merely expressing a personal preference for Perl.

Other languages equally up to the task are PHP, Python, and probably many, many more. PHP is my favorite as it has a most C-like syntax. (I find Perl code unreadable, but that's just me).

Jill
BenjiSmith

Post by BenjiSmith »

Flink wrote:What do you mean?
- to use Perl instead of TextPad
- where to download a TextPad-version for commandline usage
Well, TextPad is a text editor. It has lots of other nice features like regular expression search/replace, file diffs, keyboard macros, etc.

But if you take away the editor, and just use it a command-line tool, then what you have left is a scripting language. And there are already lots of nice scripting languages. It would be silly to turn TextPad into a scripting language when there are so many other good options (and when TextPad-as-scripting-language would probably fall short of the other scripting languages).

But, adding scripted macros to the editor UI, as everyone agrees, would be fantastic.
gracefool

Post by gracefool »

BenjiSmith wrote:This functionality has actually been available for many years.

lol