What is "Netscape" file format?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

BCMadsen

What is "Netscape" file format?

Post by BCMadsen »

I have only just now discovered a file which TextPad reports is a "Netscape" file type, and I don't see a description of this file type in the help. (When I try to save a file as a particular file type, a "Save As" dialog box appears, but if I click on the help-question-mark button and then on the "File type" dropdown list, I'm told that "No help is associated with this item. Also the help topics don't seem to mention this subject either.)

Of course, PC files are those with lines which end in <CR><LF>, and Unix and Mac files have lines which end with one of those or the other (I forget which). I've known about those distinctions for years and years. But what, technically speaking, determines whether a file is a "Netscape" file type or not?

I also notice that although a file can be in the Netscape file format, I can't save a file into that format. The drop-down list for that Save As dialog doesn't include that option. Why is that?

Brian
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

It appears to be one whose lines end with CR, CR, LF. I don't know whether Netscape is in the habit of producing abominations like that, but some MS programs do (e.g., ping).

Unix is LF; Mac is CR.