Split screen with multiple files

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

thedannyk

Split screen with multiple files

Post by thedannyk »

Being able to split the screen in a single file is an excellent feature, but I would really like to have a split screen between two files. The effect can be viewed by opening two documents and tiling them. This is okay for only having two files open at once. But I prefer to have all my documents open in the document selector. I'd like to be able to specify the number of tiles open to two... and when I select another document it should open in the tile that was last selected.

Trying to simplify -
1. Have two documents open at once --- stacked vertically or horizontally
2. Be able to open a new document to the same position as the currently selected document from the document selector or tab (perhaps both files could be highlighted in different colors).

It would be great to edit one file while using another as an example without having modify your example as you go or sacrifice the ability to see both at the same time without lots of effort.

-Dan
man910

Yes!

Post by man910 »

This would be really nice. The edit executable that comes with MS-DOS has had this capability for years.
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

Actually, yes, this would be surprisingly good.

Of course, we can all survive without it. But it's one of those timesaver things that's just really neat. I like it.

Jill
gracefool

Unnecessary

Post by gracefool »

You do know that it's pretty easy to do this at the moment, right?

Select the documents in the document selector, right click and select "tile vertically" or "tile horizontally".

Good enough for me.
thedannyk

Re: Unnecessary

Post by thedannyk »

gracefool wrote:You do know that it's pretty easy to do this at the moment, right?

Select the documents in the document selector, right click and select "tile vertically" or "tile horizontally".
Thanks, I guess that I just got it. Select two files in the document selector, right-click, then tile vertically/horizontally.

I could do without the window information at the top, or the multiple other files at the bottom, but this is sufficient.

Thanks.