New parameter macros $SelFiles and $AllFiles

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is it to you, to have this feature implemented into future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
44%
Somewhat important
25%
I'm okay either way
25%
Somewhat unimportant
6%
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected
No votes

Total votes: 16

bobtarling

New parameter macros $SelFiles and $AllFiles

Post by bobtarling »

I'd like the following parameter macros for feeding to external tools

$SelFiles - All selected/highlighted files in the document selector panel seperated by space (excludes the current file)
$AllFiles - All open files seperated by spaces

My particular wish is to allow more than one file to be passed to an XSLT transformation tool. I can have the original XML file in one window, the XSLT in other and run a command to process one against the other and display the results.

This helps with my issue and remains generic enough to possibly be useful to others elsewhere (eg feeding any 2 files into an external diff program).
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Usually a tool expects parameters or input files in a certain order - that might be the problem here - in which order are files passed to the tool?
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

bobtarling wrote:seperated by space
I presume you mean filenames IN QUOTES, separated by space, to allow for the possibility of pathnames containing spaces, such as "My Documents/..."

Jill
bobtarling

Post by bobtarling »

MudGuard wrote:Usually a tool expects parameters or input files in a certain order - that might be the problem here - in which order are files passed to the tool?
For my specific purposes I would not care. As I'd expect to have only one XSLT file and one XML file open I can call the transformation engine via a batch file which would make sure parameters are in the correct order.

To make this more generally usable I guess it would be nice to be able to drag files in the document selector to different positions or to drag tabs in the document tabs.

It may still have some limited uses for others without this.