Document selector RIGHT justify

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is it to you, to have this feature implemented into future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
17%
Somewhat important
56%
I'm okay either way
22%
Somewhat unimportant
No votes
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected
6%

Total votes: 18

jeffy

Post by jeffy »

It would be nice if the document selector justified to the RIGHT, instead of LEFT (it currently left-justifies). If it right-justified instead, then I could display full paths, but squish the selector to be skinny.

Instead of displaying this (as it does now):

Code: Select all

| C:\applications\whatev |

It could display this:

Code: Select all

| ubdirectory\myfile.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile2.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile3.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile4.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile5.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile6.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile7.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile8.txt |
| bdirectory\myfile9.txt |
| directory\myfile10.txt |

Much clearer!
Thomas Schremser

Post by Thomas Schremser »

According to Murphy's Law the interesting part of the path would be on the left side if it was right justified. :wink:

So I think the document selector should better display a horizontal scrollbar if needed than justify and truncate.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Interesting concept Jeffy... but should you be working on two or more files that has the same name but relate to different projects then the path now becomes important... I almost never use the doc selector if all my opened files can fit comfortably using doc tabs.

Having said that, almost from day one, I undocked the selector and widened it to fit my screen, then closed it... If I absolutely need to bring a file to front and its tab is off the screen, I just press F11 and the selector pops open wide angle, select my file and F11 to close (instead of poking around with the tab scroll which I can never seem to control properly)

If for any reason I cannot still see my filename, then I absolutely need to revisit my paths.

What would be a winna is a doc tree for the selector.
gracefool

Re: Document selector RIGHT justify

Post by gracefool »

Thomas Schremser wrote:So I think the document selector should better display a horizontal scrollbar if needed than justify and truncate.
Ewww! A horizontal scrollbar taking up screen space? No thanks. If a horizontal scrollbar is added, it will have to be optional.
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

If you can't read the filenames, the ENTIRE document selector is wasting screen space. If the addition of a scrollbar should make it more useable then you won't see me complaining.