Bad interactions between MS-WMP and TextPad

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

TSummers

Bad interactions between MS-WMP and TextPad

Post by TSummers »

FYI - TextPad support - We are all running TxP 4.7.1 on Win-XP and a recent DTW (a forced update from our IT dept) of WMP (Windows Media Player, my version is 9.00.00.3075) has created several problems with TextPad. For some of us it locks up when opening a file on a network share when you have a workspace loaded (and WMP running).

For me it has replaced the textpad file open dialog box with the WMP open dialog box that has Artist, track columns instead of fileCreateDate, etc. (WMP is not running as far as I can determine). I can send screen shots of this behavior if you have an email address I can send them to.

Could you look into this, we use textpad heavily and it can't start locking up no matter what the pinheads do to a stupid marketing app like WMP.
Many thanks for creating such a perfect editor! Keep up the good work.
ts
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

The oft-used phrase "Bl***y Micr :evil: soft!" springs immediately to mind. Windows Media Player screws everything up. Just don't use it.

Seriously though - if you can't reproduce the problem with any app other than WMP, then I would tend to diagnose this as a WMP bug., not a TP bug. Does that not sound logical to you?

Jill
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

I find this strange, me defending the mighty buck at M$, me who dreams
of a Linux desktop every night :wink:
- First of all, bugs involving network share are often solved by updating
virus protection software. There are other pitfalls, use search here. Make
sure you tick "Search for all terms" on "network share".
- Second, I have been very careful not to update my WMP, currently using
version 8.00.00.4487 and TP version 4.7.2 on my WinXP. When I use the
file open dialog in TP on a folder that contains just mp3 files, the detail
view changes to media view. That's "normal" for WinXP.
- Third, I know you are probably using WMP for a training course video
but for music at least use Winamp 2.81 or a similar program if you can.
HTH
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
helios

Post by helios »

If you haven't already done so, try using Wordpad and see how it behaves. Please also have a look at the first two items in the Known Problems section of the Forum, and see if there is anything relevant to your problem there.

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
Helios Software Solutions
TSummers

OK

Post by TSummers »

I had ignored the first known problem because it stated it was "fixed" in 4.7.1 the rev we are using. I have sent out messages to the folks having the lockups to check if they have un-docked windows. I did previously verify their versions via netmeeting and we did turn off VirusScan.

WordPad's open file dialog box also lists Artist, track, etc as the files details, so I guess it looks like our IT group decided to change our system defaults also and the two symptoms are not related.

Thanks for the pointers
ts
TSummers

Found it

Post by TSummers »

FYI - The folks that had the lockup problems had Office 2003 Beta installed. When this was removed and the production version installed the lockups went away.
Thanks
ts