Systray Icon Naming

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

VoxEcho

Systray Icon Naming

Post by VoxEcho »

When I am working with multiple workspaces, and I minimize several to my systray (yes, I use this feature, and like it) it is impossible to know which is which without remembering the order that I minimized them - they all say textpad when i hover over them. Would it be possible to have systray icons for workspaces pop up the workspace title when I hover the mouse over them?

-Echo
Why yes, I do program in Comic Sans
VoxEcho

Post by VoxEcho »

does no one else run into this? -E
Jan Paul

Post by Jan Paul »

I have Texpad in "Single Mode" so when I open an textpad file it opens the document in the same textpad instance.
I also have the taksbar option -and like it very much- and use the tabbed interface of documents.
This way I have only one Textpad icon in the taskbar and when I open this icon I can see all the documents opened in the tabbed list.
Maybe this is an option for you too?

Jan Paul
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

No, I get what VoxEcho is saying. VoxEcho also has TP open multiple documents in the same instance of TP, but in VoxEcho's case TextPad is being used as one instance per workspace, not one instance per document. It is the workspace name which is being requested, not the document name.

VoxEcho is clearly well-organised. You can't put ALL of your open documents into the same instance of TP if you're using workspaces, otherwise you'd break the workspace model. I think I would tend to modify VoxEcho's suggestion as follows:
  1. It should be a user-preference as to whether TP displays either (a) the document title or (b) the workspace name, when minimised (defaulting to (a)).
  2. Whatever was selected in step (1) should show as a tooltip when the system tray icon is hovered over.
I confess that all sounds kinda difficult to implement, but I think it would be sensible behavior. It would certainly make life easier when working with multiple workspaces anyway.

Jill
VoxEcho

Post by VoxEcho »

(belated response - and blatent attempt to bring this topic out of the dust bin)

Ramonsky pretty much sums up what i am talking about, though i don't agree that implamentation would be difficult.

Any thoughts from the Textpad people on this?

-Echo
gracefool

Post by gracefool »

Should be easy to implement. This is the reason I don't use minimize to tray - it's pretty much unusable with multiple instances ATM.
VoxEcho

Post by VoxEcho »

actually, i've gotten pretty good at remembering the order that i minimized them. they read from left to right from newest to oldesst in the systray. but that's really not a good salution.

-E
SLerman

Post by SLerman »

Just want to add my support for this. It would definitely be nice to have.
VoxEcho

Post by VoxEcho »

Bumping this from the dustbin... i am redundent and often repeat myself