Right margin highlighting

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

munderwood

Right margin highlighting

Post by munderwood »

I'd like to be able to either configure a vertical line at a given column position, or change the background colour at that point across the page. Then when I'm typing code (that I don't want to word-wrap), I can still see if I'm going to cross the 80 character line and maybe adjust my comments accordingly so that when viewed by other developers the line doesn't disappear off into the distance.

Obviously I can do this at the moment by watching the column position in the status bar, but a subtle change in background colour would make this much easier.

Matt.
maniac

Post by maniac »

one of the old borland c++ ides had this feature, and it was very nice

maybe just a one pixel line that goes down the page vertically at a variable position (whatever you have the wrap set to for the document type) that has a color property as well
munderwood

Post by munderwood »

Yeah, thats right. But I don't necessarily want to it auto-wrap the text for me.
Ray K.

word wrap marker

Post by Ray K. »

Dev-C++ also has this feature. A single pixel vertical line at the location of the right margin. Adjustable location and color made it really convenient to use. (Light grey worked very well for me).

A MUST for easy alignment of code. I don't like to rely on the word wrap feature.

Ray
When in doubt, get a bigger hammer.
CodeBase

Post by CodeBase »

Yes! Fantastic suggestion. Too bad there's no poll. :(