Release 4.7.2

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Marco

Release 4.7.2

Post by Marco »

O.S. = XP Pro 2002 - Sp.1 - Ita

I have just updated from 4.7.1 to 4.7.2 (italian version)

now if I open more files at a time from Explorer's context menu
Textpad takes a long time to open each file and hang Explorer
until it has finished to open all the files.
I do not had this behaviour in version 4.7.1

Maybe it is related to:

Release 4.7.2
This release fixes problems that have been reported in version 4.7.1:
<clip>
The TextPad command on Explorer's context menu has been changed to
use DDE again, so that more files can be opened at a time.
To prevent lockups, due to known problems in Win2K and XP,
if this command is used in the Open File dialog box, or when
any modal dialog box is active, the files will be opened in a
new instance.
<clip>

May I reinstall Release 4.7.1 over Release 4.7.2?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks.

Marco
helios

Post by helios »

It is possible that another application is blocking the DDE messages that are used for opening files. I suggest that you close all other open applications, and then try opening the files again.
Helios Software Solutions
Marco

Post by Marco »

I have tried but without success...

I tried uninstall 4.7.2 and reinstall 4.7.1 but I have now
the same behaviour.

No other applications are running, Norton AV disabled.

...I do not know if it happen exactly after 4.7.2 upgrade,
maybe it is related to a Windows Xp update or Norton AV update...

In the NG autodesk.autocad.customization there is my textpad reg settings in replay to M. Puckett - 4.7.2 announcement.

Marco
puckettm

Post by puckettm »

[quote="Marco"]In the NG autodesk.autocad.customization there is my textpad reg settings in replay to M. Puckett - 4.7.2 announcement.Marco[/quote]

Hi Marco,

Sorry to hear your problem persists. I'm running Textpad 4.7.2 on WinXP Pro, latest updates ( English version ) and not experiencing the problems you detailed. Obviously you've tried disabling virus scanning, word wrapping et al to no avail. I viewed your registry setting ( though not with a magnifying glass ) and could see nothing that might contribute or cause the problem. I sincerely hope you and / or the Helios crew can determine and remedy the problem soon. I can imagine how annoying that might be.

PS -- though I'm a long time user / advocate / sometimes beta tester of Textpad, I am not affiliated with Helios. I apologize if my numerous posts to Autodesk hosted forums about Textpad leads you or anyone else to believe that I work for Helios. I'm just another programmer who fell hard for the Textpad product :)

Sincerely,

Michael Puckett
Canada
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hi Michael,

thanks for answer.

I have reinstalled r. 4.7.1 and AFTER reboot every thing is OK.

I am waiting a new version before upgrade again.

> I'm just another programmer who fell hard for the Textpad product :)

I know, me too.

Cheers.

Marco
zzappster

Post by zzappster »

I too am suffering the lockup when using the Explorer context menu entry for Textpad and Textpad is not currently running (Win2000).

The culprit in my case happened to be InstallAnywhere. Close it and everything is fine. There may of course be more apps doing the same thing.

I feel the reversion to DDE to allow more files to be opened is a backwards step.

To have to close all programs down just to be able to context menu launch Textpad is not a good solution. The affects of the lockup, if you can't close everything down (ever been 30 minutes into a tough debugging session and then have to close everything down) are severe. If the Explorer session is forced down, it takes the shell down with it.

The number of times I open a single file via the context menu without Textpad open versus the number of times I open too many files favours the single file scenario significantly. Of course, your mileage may vary.

It's a severe enough problem that I have to revert to 4.71.

Perhaps an option at install time to determine the method by which context menu items are opened?
Tzimisce

DDE problems

Post by Tzimisce »

I am also experiencing problems with the new DDE Explorer interface. These did not occur with prior versions of TextPad.

If certain applications (say, the Delphi debugger) are running, DDE pauses until the other application completes its task. This makes it VERY inconvenient to check something in TextPad during a debugging session, for instance.

Bill Sorensen
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

To revert to the 4.7.1 file opening behavior in 4.7.2:

1. In TextPad, from the Configure menu, choose Preferences and select General.
2. Uncheck "Context menu" and click OK.
3. Exit from TextPad and reboot your PC.
4. Download shellext13.zip
5. Extract shellext.dll to the system subfolder of your TextPad installation folder. By default, this will be C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\System.
6. Start TextPad, then from the Configure menu, choose Preferences and select General.
7. Check "Context menu" and click OK.

Once you have done this, file names will be passed as command line parameters to TextPad, rather than in DDE messages.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Tzimisce

Post by Tzimisce »

Thank you!