Install 4.7.2 fails: "Invalid drive"

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

shiver

Install 4.7.2 fails: "Invalid drive"

Post by shiver »

Hi. The install of 4.7.2 failed to install over 4.6. The process did not get very far before the message below was displayed.

Error 1327.Invalid drive:\I

There is no drive currently at I. However, I mounted a network drive and unmounted it just to make sure that the slot was clean. Still failed.

I do have a number of drives, and I have a few odd ones at V: and Z: (both related to a USB Onstream tape drive).

There was no topic with the words "invalid drive" that seemed on-topic.

Suggestions? ... cheers, drl

(Edited to correct spelling in Subject line.)
Last edited by shiver on Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( Minnesota - W2000 / SP4+, dual CPU, 400 MHz, 512 MB; Textpad 4.7.2 / My other computer is an Alpha running Linux )
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Before installing 4.7.2, try uninstalling 4.6 using Control Panel's Add Remove Programs applet. Your settings should be preserved.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
shiver

Re: Advice for: Install 4.7.2 fails: "Invalid drive&quo

Post by shiver »

Hi. Thank you for your quick reply.

Executive summary: I had trouble when following the posted suggestion.

Details:

I was reluctant to follow this advice for these reasons:

1. Installation instructions direct us to install over the previous version.

2. I have never seen this message on other installs, and it seems like a system-level problem.

2. Removing with applet seems as if it would remove everything, including settings.

Method:

No offense intended, but this did not pass the "gut feeling" test for me, so I did a Ghost. Then I did the remove with the Add-Remove control panel. It seemed to be successful. When I attempted the install of 4.7.2, it still failed. I attempted an install of 4.6, and IT failed. An install of 4.5 succeeded, but no preferences were preserved.

I reloaded from Ghost, and 30 minutes later performed the (seemingly) obligatory re-boots. I tried an install of 4.7.2 over 4.6 again, thinking a re-boot must have done something good. It didn't, and the install still failed.

I mapped an available network drive, thus taking up the :\I slot. The install of 4.7.2 over 4.6 then seemed to succeed.

Conclusion:

In some circumstances, the installer becomes confused. The 8th slot? More drives than 7 , but 8 is empty? I don't know.

Moral:

Try the easy stuff first ... cheers, drl
( Minnesota - W2000 / SP4+, dual CPU, 400 MHz, 512 MB; Textpad 4.7.2 / My other computer is an Alpha running Linux )