Reduce Indent

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jjv411

Reduce Indent

Post by jjv411 »

I am curious if I am the only one having this problem. I am using the latest (4.7.1) version of Textpad. I am trying to use SHIFT-CTRL-I to Reduce the indentation of a line of code. It doesnt seem to be working. SHIFT-I works fine to indent the code but I cannot seem to reduce the indentation. Is this a known problem? Do I have some preference set wrong? Is there some workaround? Thanks.
maniac

Post by maniac »

I use shift-tab, is that what you mean?
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

SHIFT-I to indent?

I use SHIFT-I to produce capital i...

CTRL-I indents more, SHIFT-CTRL-I indents less - works as it should
jjv411

Post by jjv411 »

Sorry, I meant Control-I, not Shift-I

CONTROL-I does indent as expected but SHIFT-CONTROL-I does not reduce indent as the documentation claims. I was curious if this is a bug in textpad or if there is some setting I have wrong. If this is not a problem with Textpad, there must be some setting in my OS preventing SHIFT-CONTROL-I from doing something.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Have you checked whether SHIFT-CTRL-I is associated with EditIndentLess?
jjv411

Post by jjv411 »

Yes, I checked. Control-Shift-I is properly bound to EditIndentLess. I ran a few tests. Looks like my OS is CAPTURING the Control-Shift-I before it gets to the application. I am using windows 2000. Anyone seen this problem? Why is windows capturing this? Anyone know how to fix this?
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

W2k here and I have no issue with the OS capturing Ctrl-Shift-I I use it on a regular basis thanks to a erratically indenting former co-worker.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
maniac

Post by maniac »

im confused what's the difference between that and using shift-tab?
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Tab/Shift Tab only indents/un-indents selected lines

Ctrl-I/Ctrl-Shift-I indents/un-indents the either the selected lines or when nothing is selected the current line
bettendorf

Post by bettendorf »

Some time in the distant past, one or another editor spoiled me by deleting the appropriate number of spaces from a line, if sufficient spaces were there, when shift-tabbing at the end of that line.

I like to replace tabs with spaces, to keep document formatting consistent between editors/users. Being able to shift tab to reduce an indent level, while also having tabs (including those automatically inserted to maintain indent level) replaced with spaces, was a very nice combination.

Does Textpad somehow support this, and I just haven't caught on?

Currently, when I have replace tabs with spaces turned on, create a new, indented line, and then shift-tab at the end of the line, the cursor moves back the appropriate amount, but the spaces it moves past while doing so remain. I'd like to have the option of having those spaces deleted.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Configure - Preferences - Document Classes - <your document class> - Tabulation

There, the checkboxes
"Convert new tabs to spaces"
and
"Convert existing tabs to spaces when saving files"
should help you.
lbarclay

Reduce Indent

Post by lbarclay »

Has anyone ever found a solution to the Control-Shift-I, reduce indent problem? I have that problem as well and it's just irritating! :)