OT: security or protection programs for txt files?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

insitus

OT: security or protection programs for txt files?

Post by insitus »

Since text files are easier to open and use than other document progrmams (e.g., Microsoft Word), I use mainly TextPad for storing confidential and/or proprietary information. I would like to hear from experienced TexPad fans what security or encryption programs are convenient and effective for text files or folders containing such text files. Satoshi
mo

Post by mo »

just filling time here: I use PGP and create a PGP Disk to store confidential information.

I am not in a need-for-high-security situation. This is just to keep certain data somewhat out of reach.

I am on W2kPro and I understand one can go a couple of steps further in this situation without extraordinary work: password protect files, store password protected files in a PGP disk, encrypt and store password protected files in a PGP disk.

No extra costs.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

If you have Windows XP, you can encrypt individual files or entire folders. Then other users of your computer will not be able to read those files, unless they logon with your user name. To do that, right click a file or folder, choose Properties, select the General tab, click Advanced, then check Encrypt contents to secure data. The encryption is transparent to TextPad, as files will be automatically decrypted when opened and encrypted again when saved.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
insitus

Post by insitus »

Hi Keith,

XP does so many things, I find it very hard to figure out everything on XP.

> files will be automatically decrypted when opened and encrypted again >when saved.

I would like to know about this tip. How about the following lines?

files will be automatically decrypted when opened and encrypted again when "closed".

My question is about closed vs. saved. It would be more convenient if the files are automotically encrypted simiply by closing the documents rather than by "saving" again. Could you please clarify it? Satoshi