Copying hidden hypertext

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

insitus

Copying hidden hypertext

Post by insitus »

I do not know the exact word to descirbe here. I will try my best.

When I copy an email address from Outlook Express on Textpad, it does not print the email address but only the name. For example, sender's name of an email is John Doe (johndoe@hotmail.com). On Outlook Express, I only see the name John Doe but its email address (johndoe@hotmail.com) is hidden behind his name. When I copy John Does from Outlook Express on textpad, it copies only John Doe, not its email address. Is there any way to print both his name and email address automatically onto textpad. Thanks. Satoshi
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

When I paste from OE I do get the "John Doe <johndoe@hotmail.com>".
Using TP 4.7.1 and OE 6.00.2800.1123 on winXP pro sp1.
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
insitus

Post by insitus »

Upon reading your posting, I tried.
I was surprised to see that it worked.
I posted the thread because it did not work last week.
So I must copy both name and email address separately.
Thanks. Satisgu
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I think that whether or not you get the "Name" with the "Address" depends on the mode your are in, or the field you are trying to copy from. Are you trying to copy from the table listing of emails, from a preview header, from an open email, from text in lower part of email history? (Don't need answers from you, just listing some of the different modes you can be in.

I checked some instances that only showed the Name, and only the Name got copied. In other instances both the Name and Address are shown, and when I copy I get both.

I have noticed that the "TO" field frequently only shows the name on open email. The "Address" is a "property" of the visible name. And to get the "Address" you need to select the Name, right click, then click on the Properties so you can get the Address.

But this is not a function of TextPad, it is a function of Outlook Express. TextPad only pastes what you actually copy to the clipboard.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
insitus

Post by insitus »

Thanks Bob.
I forgot the name of the program. I once tried for a month. That text editor copies everything including hypertext. I understand that TextPad copies anything from clipboard. But it seems that Textpad does more than that, which I think it very versatile and useful program.

I wish to expand this question a little more as follows:

Is there any way to copy/paste hypertexts from web page onto Textpad?

When I copy and paste a hypertexted word "home" from a web page onto texpad, it only copies the word home (the hidden text behind the hypertexted word home is "http://www.google.com). Is there anyway to copy the all of the hypertext, e.g. "home" (http://www.google.com)? If that is possible, I would like to save some useful web pages on text files.

Satoshi
insitus

Post by insitus »

Thanks Bob.
I forgot the name of the program. I once tried for a month. That text editor copies everything including hypertext. I understand that TextPad copies anything from clipboard. But it seems that Textpad does more than that, which I think it very versatile and useful program.

I wish to expand this question a little more as follows:

Is there any way to copy/paste hypertexts from web page onto Textpad?

When I copy and paste a hypertexted word "home" from a web page onto texpad, it only copies the word home (the hidden text behind the hypertexted word home is "http://www.google.com). Is there anyway to copy the all of the hypertext, e.g. "home" (http://www.google.com)? If that is possible, I would like to save some useful web pages on text files.

Satoshi
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

It's a couple of steps, but works....

:idea: When on the Web page, click on View Source, do a Find to locate the text, and do your copy from the View Source Page.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob