Problem with display of applications from textpad

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Terrance Simkin

Problem with display of applications from textpad

Post by Terrance Simkin »

The problem is not consistant. When I run an application, either console or swing the display from within textpad will just flash and not stay visable. The problem started when I upgraded to the j2sdk1.4.2_01. I was using textpad 4.50, so I upgraded to 4.71. Still having inconsistane display from within textpad when I run the application. I have tried to see the differences in my files. Possible hidden chars. Very strang. Please help.

I am a registered user, been so for some time.
DSM4Life

Post by DSM4Life »

I am new to the board but am having the same problem. I am a first time user of textpad but using it in school on a w2k machine works fine. Instructor told me to try older version java.sun 1.4.1 and that still doesnt work or new version . I am running on XP system. Any help would be great i need this for school.

public class Welcome
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
System.out.println("Welcome to Java Programming");
}
}

Thats my code for a very baic display message. The box just comes up flashes then shuts down on its own and i cannot view info. Any suggestions ?
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Check your "Close DOS window on exit" settings under
Configure->Prefrences->Tools->Run Java Application.
Make sure it's unchecked.
Terrance Simkin

not consitant display of application

s_reynisson wrote:Check your "Close DOS window on exit" settings under
Configure->Prefrences->Tools->Run Java Application.
Make sure it's unchecked.
This is not the problem, but thanks

Terry Simkin
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

I personally compile my java code in TextPad, but never run it there.

I only run Java (command line) applications in CMD.exe (or JPSoft's 4nt.exe which is a great replacement).

Try that. Does this address your problem?

(As I see it, TextPad is not a Java IDE, it's just a text editor that makes *editing* and *creating* Java code much easier.)
Terrance Simkin

jeffy wrote:I personally compile my java code in TextPad, but never run it there.

I only run Java (command line) applications in CMD.exe (or JPSoft's 4nt.exe which is a great replacement).

Try that. Does this address your problem?

(As I see it, TextPad is not a Java IDE, it's just a text editor that makes *editing* and *creating* Java code much easier.)
Thanks, that does work for me. I have been compiling and running from within Textpad for years with no problem. This is a recent issue and it is not consistant.
DSM4Life

Post by DSM4Life »

well i never ran it in cmd . I tried to load the .class file and the file is asking what program i should assicoate it with..... hmm i just used that program NetBeans and that seems to load it without a problem. I just wanted to use textpad cause thats what we use in school. If i cmplie the code in NetBeans then i have to copy that text and paste to text pad cause i need it in that format... this sucks