Question about blocks; another about spaces

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

BriAnn

Question about blocks; another about spaces

Post by BriAnn »

Please forgive me. There's nothing worse than someone who keeps asking why doesn't program X work like program Y. I'm afraid I'll probably be guilty of it more than a few times as I migrate to TP after 20 years with PC-Write (yes, the DOS text editor).

This question is about blocks.

I see that when I delete a block from the middle of a bunch of lines, the lines close ranks. I also see than when I paste a block, text that occupied the space now holding the block is pushed to the left of the block.

Is there a way to configure TP so that deleting block leaves a hole and pasting a block overwrites existing text?

As I type this, I realize it raises a related question. Is there a way to insert spaces at the cursor? The space bar will do it, but the cursor moves. I'd like to insert a space to the right of the cursor. Oh, I see... If I want to insert a block of spaces, I can use Block Filll and populate it with spaces! I feel like I'm in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike...! This should be fun. :-)

That leaves the block question. I don't think it's going to be more than a minor inconvenience if I can't resolve it. It'll just be a matter of getting used to the TP way of doing things.

--BriAnn
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Press Insert key to go to Overwrite mode, paste.
pasting a block overwrites existing text?
All I can think of is a macro using Fill Block with "replace" ticked and
assigning that macro to a keyboard shortcut.
a way to configure TP so that deleting block leaves a hole
:idea: On a diffrent note, it's clear from your posts that you are putting
years of "configuration" into a "new" environment. After you finish, make
sure you check out TP help on "How to Transfer Preferences between
PC's" to save your work.
But beware, if you are not used to using Regedit have someone that
is do it for you.
BriAnn

Post by BriAnn »

Press Insert key to go to Overwrite mode, paste.
Well, duh! I guess I am that blond.
All I can think of is a macro using Fill Block with "replace" ticked and
assigning that macro to a keyboard shortcut.
Cute. That's a variant of my insert spaces discovery. The "replace" radio button hadn't registered yet. Best part is I only have to enter a single space, that is, I don't have to count columns and enter a row.
it's clear from your posts that you are putting years of "configuration" into a "new" environment.
I realize you're not being critical of me but I had a long talk with myself about this. Why don't I just make a clean break and adapt? It's not as though TP is like like the old IBM TSP line editor where 'U' was Up and 'D' was delete. TP4 & PCW have a lot in common. I'll continue to use PCW on my Win98/SE machines, so making TP a bit more like it will save me when I forget which program I'm using.

I checked the registry. The only key that seems worth transferiing is Preferences. More important is not to change configurations and erase my CUSTOM.BND file...which I just backed up! Thanks for the pointer.

(Don't worry. I NEVER let anyone touch my Registry. I'm always amazed when others let me edit theirs. Not that I'm perfect. Sometime I'll tell you about the day I mistyped a DOS 'move' command and moved the entire contents of my hard drive into a subdirectory. That's the entire contents--Windows and all! Thank heavens I had the good sense not to turn the machine off!)

--BriAnn
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

BriAnn,

Switching from PC-Write is clearly hard work, but think of it this way: in the dark old days of DOS, there were no standards. Each application had to reinvent the wheel, so they all worked in their own unique ways. With Windows, MS imposed standards, with great benefits for users (as well as Bill Gates bank account). Now, all editors have the same way of doing the basics, so once you've mastered one, you'll easily be able to use others, such as Notepad, WordPad, MS Word and MS Works. Clearly, this greatly increases your choice, because the much smaller learning curve makes it easier to switch to another product. The corollary is that software suppliers must be much more responsive to customer requirements - rather than operating as a bunch of techies working in an ivory tower - if they want to stay in business.

Regarding your specific requirements, in TextPad, you can delete the contents of a group of lines by selecting them in block mode, then pressing the Delete key. To select in block mode, hold the Alt key down, then press the left mouse button at the start of the first line, drag to the end of the last line (or beyond, to include all characters on the longest line), then release the left button and then the Alt key. Note that block mode cannot be used when word wrapping is enabled. However, if you are going to type new stuff on each of those lines, you'll end up doing complicated movements with the arrow keys, so as not to create any additional lines. In that case it's much easier to select all the lines you want to change, then simply start typing (which will delete the selected lines), and hit Enter at the end of each line.

I can't get my brain around the idea of inserting spaces after the cursor, without moving it. I think that, once you become more comfortable with the way things are done in Windows applications, you'll find another way to achieve the same end.

Free your mind from the tyranny of PC-Write! :wink:

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
BriAnn

Post by BriAnn »

Keith,

Thanks for the pointers.

I'm comfortable with Windows Apps. I can and do use them, but there are some DOS programs I prefer nonetheless. There are some Windows standards, but they're not always honored. Will paste be Crtl-V or Shft-Ins? Will Crtl-Bksp delete the word to the left of the cursor?

As I mentioned to s_r, the changes to emulate my most commonly used PCW features are much fewer than I'd've expected. We're it not for my having 4 machines (2 Win98/SE; 2 XP) I'd seriously consider a clean break, as when I moved from EVE to PC-Write. There's a chance I'll "convert" over the next few months. We'll see. It depends on whether I become so enamored of TP that I start using it on the 98/SE machines. At least it's not like when I moved from EDT to EVE and configured a nearly perfect EDT clone.

The real key to getting my block operations, I think, is to remember to use the clipboard judiciously so that I copy to clipboard/overwrite/paste in one smooth motion.
I can't get my brain around the idea of inserting spaces after the cursor, without moving it.
I don't like to move my hands from the keyboard, so I often use it to insert a new column of numbers in an already existing table.

PCW: Pick a starting point. Press Ins as many times as the column is wide. Press down arrow. Then each Shft-Ins adds a new row and moves the cursor down. I could do a block move instead, but this is usually faster.

TP: I think I'd go into block mode, define my block of blanks, go into Overwrite mode to fill it in. I can configure Block SelectOn/Off keys and EditFillBLock, but I think I have to go the mouse to work the panel.

I'm not being critical. I'm just finding my way. I think TP is it ( my new text processor, that is) and I'm very happy with what I've seen so far. I can give you a list of new features that I know I'll enjoy using, such as dragging highlighted areas instead of cutting and pasting, but you know them already.

--BriAnn