Find/replace dialog Font

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Would you find these ideas useful?

5: Important, even if speed/efficiency is decreased/degraded.
24%
4: Somewhat important
39%
3: I'm okay either way
18%
2: Somewhat unimportant
18%
1: Unimportant, even if speed and efficiency remain unaffected
No votes

Total votes: 33

bveldkamp

Find/replace dialog Font

Post by bveldkamp »

I'd like to be able to change the font of the find/replace dialogs to a non-proportional one. I vaguely remember it to be the same font as the current document, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, it's an Arial-like font now and pretty hard to select text, especially when you have a number of "narrow" letters, such as capital I and lowercase L, after each other. With the blinking caret, it's hard even to see which letter is selected and which one isn't.

Berend Veldkamp
LonelyPixel

Post by LonelyPixel »

Changing the font is a good idea, but I'd not change it to a fixed-width one, but to a TrueType one! Tahoma f.ex.
I have CoolType enabled here, and it seems it can only smooth TrueType fonts, but not raster fonts (sounds logically...). And what is set now looks like MS Sans Serif or so... Guess that's a raster font :(
For configuration: It would be sufficient to let the user choose one font style for all dialog windows, or maybe just pay attention to the user's Windows setting for that?
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Well, there are fixed width fonts that are truetype: Andala mono, Courier New, Lucida Console... But if I can choose any font from a list I'd be satisfied.
AFAIK there's no Windows setting that controls the font of a text-box, and I don't want the *general* dialog window setting to be fixed-width.

Berend
LonelyPixel

Post by LonelyPixel »

ah, you meant the font for the text boxes only? sounds more reasonable... ;) i was already wondering, why would one want to change the dialog font to fixed?...

right, there is no windows setting for this.
Susan

Find/replace dialog Font

Post by Susan »

We would like to be able to change the font in the dialog box to Courier. We heavily depend on TextPad to edit fixed-position data files. It is very helpful when each letter occupies the same "space" as all other letters and spaces. That way we actually see how the field lengths are being affected by our amendments. Using the standard font in this version of TextPad requires that we now count letters and spaces.
danglund

Changing the dialog window size is just as important

Post by danglund »

The path field is way too narrow, even with the tiny fonts. My source tree is so deep that I hardly ever see the complete path.

I would like the "Find in files" dialog to be resizable.
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

As a temporary solution you can try this. The Find in files dialog is under Dialog->28->1033.
I did this for Find, Replace and Find in files, using Courier 10 in all cases. But take care if you want to try it, back up your original Textpad.exe.
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
danglund

Post by danglund »

s_reynisson wrote:As a temporary solution you can try this. The Find in files dialog is under Dialog->28->1033.
I did this for Find, Replace and Find in files, using Courier 10 in all cases. But take care if you want to try it, back up your original Textpad.exe.
What can I say. Thank you very much. I use Courier New 10. It is ugly, but readable :)

I try getting people at work using Textpad, but tiny fonts and other GUI quirks can be a real show-stopper sometimes. This is something that should be fixed properly some time though, and it probably will.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I completely agree with what the original poster said and strongly support the addition of the feature.
gracefool

blatant plug?

Post by gracefool »

This was added to Grand Unification Theory a while ago.