Textpad Locking up

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

carnix

Textpad Locking up

Post by carnix »

When using Windows, I generally launch TextPad using the context menu as opposed to associating files with Textpad. I find that this makes things work much smoother all around since I can right-click and select TextPad to edit a file, but double click it and run it (such as a .pl file, for example).

Anyway, when you click the Open button inside TextPad, you get an Explorer window to select files to open from. If you right click a file in that window and select TextPad from the context menu, TextPad locks completely and you have to kill the process directly to make it go away, thus losing all unsaved work, as well as recent file history and any other internal information that TextPad only saves on exit.

While the obvious answer is "Don't Do That!" I still find myself forgetting... besides, I don't buy the "It's a feature not a bug" garbage... when a "feature" acts more like a bug, it's a bug...

.c
Microsoft Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition
crassius

context lockups

Post by crassius »

This has been broken since ver 4.5 - the only workaround is to turn off the context menu option in the general preferences. The programmers tried making a new SHELLEXT.DLL file a while back, but it didn't help.

It looks like they're pretty busy with some serious problems right now, but we hope they'll get a fix for this sometime soon.