Instll err The Configuration Registry Key can not be written

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

perk

Instll err The Configuration Registry Key can not be written

Post by perk »

new install, all goes well and I click the Finish button and the error message
"The Configuration Registry Key can not be written"
The error box bar reffers to \Current User\Software\Helios\TextPad 4 \DocumentClasses ....
appears

I have tried running the textpad.exe file with the same results. I have uninstalled and re-installed. No success so far.

O/S is XP Pro

Any help would be appreciated!
[/img]
davenet

Post by davenet »

I've got the same problem. Been using TextPad for years. I uninstalled my previous version 4.6, and installed this one.

I have tried repairing, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. No luck. Please help.

David
evilekka

Post by evilekka »

I just installed it for the first time and I had the same problem!
I managed to work out a sollution!
open regedit and search for "helios".
when you find it, right click it and give your self full rights to edit it!
I dont know what it sess in english but you can probably figure it out!
I dont know if this is the right way to solve the problem or why it was set like that by default but it worked for me!
if you still have a problem post here and Ill figure out a better description in english!
good luck
/evilekka
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

TextPad doesn't mess with the registry access rights, because it just assumes that HKEY_CURRENT_USER is writable by the logged-in user. This is normally a safe assumption, as that part of the registry was designed to hold stuff pertaining only to the current user. It sounds like the security for that key, or the subkey used by TextPad (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 4) has been screwed down too tight. Check what's up with your system administrator.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
davenet

Post by davenet »

Hey, that worked for me too. I wonder why this came up? Glad someone figured it out.

David
evilekka

Post by evilekka »

evilekka wrote:I just installed it for the first time and I had the same problem!
I managed to work out a sollution!
open regedit and search for "helios".
when you find it, right click it and give your self full rights to edit it!
I dont know what it sess in english but you can probably figure it out!
I dont know if this is the right way to solve the problem or why it was set like that by default but it worked for me!
if you still have a problem post here and Ill figure out a better description in english!
good luck
/evilekka
--man I just wanted to add that now that Im up and running...- I love this program!
keep up the good work!
/evilekka
davenet

Post by davenet »

You and me, along with many others. I don't remember when I started using TextPad, back at version 3.x probably, maybe earlier, but I've loved it every step of the way. I always recommend it for anyone who is willing to pay for a text editor.

David
perk

IT WORKED!! WooHoo!

Post by perk »

Thanks for that! FYI I have a new (yesterday) upgrade from win 98se installation of XP Pro with all updates . The only software I installed prior to Textpad was Office 2000 and all of it's updates. That may have caused some permission issues somehow.
spurrymoses2

Post by spurrymoses2 »

bbadmin wrote:TextPad doesn't mess with the registry access rights, because it just assumes that HKEY_CURRENT_USER is writable by the logged-in user. This is normally a safe assumption, as that part of the registry was designed to hold stuff pertaining only to the current user. It sounds like the security for that key, or the subkey used by TextPad (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 4) has been screwed down too tight. Check what's up with your system administrator.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
I tried to install TextPad today and it just doesn't start. I get the same error. 'The configuration registry key could not be written.

I suspect (and actually I hope) you are starting to wonder why all these people are having the same error?

I really doubt that there's anything wrong with my PC in any way - security or otherwise. I am the administrator and I've never had any problems. I am running Windows 2000. I haven't put any particular security settings on any registry hives.

But when I navigate to the registry key 'Helios' - indeed I can't create a child of it. I get 'Error creating key - error while opening the key Helios'.
NB: not a security error, but an error opening the key.
There's already 2 children of this key 'TextPad4' and another child of this 'Preferences'.

I can create a child anywhere else, in any key, no restrictions, I am the administrator and the computer is in perfect working order.

Given the number of others with this error, I hope you will look at this seriously as a bug in either TextPad or the underlying development environment libraries that write to the registry.

I still can't get it to work, is there any other definitive/precise solution?
spurrymoses2

Post by spurrymoses2 »

If you install TextPad for "Only the Current User" - this fixes the problem.